Wiring Loom Protection

In the not too distant future I will be completely rewiring my 90 with all new Looms etc. (Going the Autosparks route now)

Obviously I want the new loom to last as long as possible. All my accessories will be wired without cutting into the new loom, and for the modifications like the Td5 gauges I will be wiring up short sub-looms.

I will be running the chassis loom along the outside of the chassis, and I'm planning on running it in some split tubing.

Anyone got/seen any good hints and tips for protecting the wiring?

Ross i would make sure that every inch of wire is properly taped up before putting the harnesses into the split conduit. This stuff has a nasty habit of chafing wires over time, as no doubt a lot of older defender owners could testify to...

Rerouted my chassis loom along the top face outside of chassis, stowed in convoluted split tubing 7 tywrapped to various points to keep it secure.

That's my plan for location Ralph.

Is my logic correct that the more places its attached, the less chaffing it will be subject to? or is there a downside to more attachments?

I was debating on replacing the chassis section after some ominous faults when I put her back together last time and had a good ponder over this.

There are verious materials you can use as split tubing I've not quite decided on my method yet but have been thinking about, larger bore "pond" tubing or even material re-enfourced ruber air/ fuel hose, split along its length.

Everything will perish pretty much over time so its just goiung for something that will work protecting the wire for that period me thinks.

Mav

I was debating on replacing the chassis section after some ominous faults when I put her back together last time and had a good ponder over this.

There are verious materials you can use as split tubing I've not quite decided on my method yet but have been thinking about, larger bore "pond" tubing or even material re-enfourced ruber air/ fuel hose, split along its length.

Everything will perish pretty much over time so its just goiung for something that will work protecting the wire for that period me thinks.

Mav

Might have to have a look at work for some tubing... If I can get the wires down without having to split it, I should be able to seal it.

I recently finished doing the rewiring on a mates Series 2A, all of the wiring inside and under the bonnet was covered with braided sleeving and the chassis loom was done in convoluted tubing (the stuff without the split), and attached at convenient points along the chassis.

Dave

I'm avoiding spiral wrap, unless on the inside in the dash etc. As where its been used previously on my truck, it is absolutely full of mud!

Have you thought about non sticky insulation tape ? I used to use that on my rally cars.