Soldering Iron

need4speed

Looking for a soldering iron for making up my MS loom. Was looking at a little Antex 25W. Will this be up to the job of soldering wires onto the D37 plugs?

I have one of the Antex 25W irons, and I find it to be up to what I want. The only time it struggles is outside in the cold, with a wind trying to solder bullet terminals onto 3mm copper cable.

I have recently used mine to solder into a D9 plug (very similar really to the D39) and apart from fitting a fine tip it was easy to use.

I also have one of these gas irons:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-irons/0600234/

Which the BBC 'gave' me when I worked for them 20 or so years ago. It's still going strong. Great for outside, Land Rovery things - but not so good for microprocessors, radio and fiddly things other than soldering the braid in to PL259 connectors.

Si

@ Mo

Where in the UK do you live if you have no electric??

Never used a gas soldering iron but a mate swears by his. Never uses an electric version

Dave,

Laning in the Lake District :) IIRC Si used it to repair Tony Cordell's cb :)

Mo