Changing thoughts on lift

Nigelw

Ok, so I had it in my head a 2" lift would be a good thing to have on my Disco, but today I was over at a neighbors farm where they have just fitted standard height Genuine H/D springs on their 1995 300Tdi, now when sitting next to their aging badly 1991 200Tdi it really did sit a lot taller in comparison!!

Is this something worth a second thought or should I still punt on the OME lift springs for my Disco?

well the springs that are on it are shot and need replacing as sagging badly now so suppose better buy the H/D springs and shiney new shocks then, I thought that was all that the camels had done but couldn't find reference to be certain and also why I posted here to ask the more knowing than I....

i've got 85's on mine. she's sat on bearmach blue hd springs all round, and i've only had to adjust the bumpstops at the front for the steering, other than that, no rubbing problems on any of the arches, even when fully loaded or towing a 2 tonne load

It will depend on the offset of the wheels you are using, if Modulars or similar, rear arches are likely to catch, not sure about the alloys you have, though IIRC they are further out than the stock steel rims...

I use some 235/85/16's with a 2" lift, and with modulars they still catch the inside/top of the wheel arch. The same size tyre on normal Disco steels don't. I sold my alloys so can't offer my findings on those.

The Land Rover Deep dish alloys are a lesser offset than the compomotives that came off it, even with just 235s on they stuck out past the arches a little bit!! now these sit under the arches but do have a greater offset than the Disco steels.

The problem for me is in the fact that the OME +2" springs are technically illegal here as they are not standard, but come in black so just about acceptable for fitting, cost wise they are the same as genuine parts but when I saw the Disco with the new gen parts springs compared with the old one it was astounding!!! Just throws in a little more confusion, I know I have already got to fit taller bump stops to stop the tyres slamming the inner arches but it is the spring quandry that gets me as I would rather prove a receipt for gen parts than OME+2", and yes Hitler does live on in my bit of Europe, my mate just had a thorough testing and even had the vernier treatment with his 130s springs as they thought it was lifted!!!

To do, to do, I am such a worry wart at times but never used to second guess myself so much!!

So you can put bigger wheels on, which are not standard, and that's OK. But you can't put a lift on it to accommodate those bigger wheels because the springs and/or shocks are non-standard and therefore illegal?

A ha, this is where it gets tricky, my car is commercial and therefore I am only restricted on the load and speed ratings but not the diameters, passenger carrying cars are subject to no more than 1.5% increase or decrease in diameter as per original fitments.

Lifting is a problem as it alters the cars characteristics and stability when driven on road, and they do not like that at all, somethings they will not notice or pay much attention to, my friend has a problem now as he has an "A" bar fitted and has done for years but a new recruit spotted it wasn't on the MOT cert as having one fitted and he has to remove it along with the array of lighting that lives on it, before he can go back and get it re-tested.

Welcome to my world of randomness when it comes to Land Rovers in Belgium!! It is pot luck on the day as to whether they notice anything or even check, but if they do it is better to have all bases covered than having a taxi home and then spending out on new parts just to satisfy the MOT man!!!

They're a bit anal on interpreting some of the rules here too - government run / controlled test centres for the mot / psv rather than indy garages reporting to vosa as in the rest of the uk. Very much depends on what testers mood / frame of mind is on the day. Fortunalley not just as bad yet as some of the euro / tuv based tests. Last time with a Landy the guy insisited that the 110 need to pay extra / was in the wrong class as it had more than 8 seats fitted lol...

I'm hoping to go down the HD route rather than 2" random spring co ltd lift - my 110 csw drove much better when I returned it to stock after 5 odd years of 2" lift. I have a set of what I beleieve are the HD rear springs and will try the 'old' back ones in the front ina few weeks time hopefully.

Oh I remember taking my Isuzu Trooper for the DOE in Macroom, thank the gods it was the testing station staffs good mood day!!! Got an advisory for the headlight alignment being slightly out, they missed the rusty brake lines that burst on the way back to Bandon!!

Although to be honest, for some things here it is best to fit bigger tyres and such like before it's spec is logged in the computer, they do check!!

They're a bit anal on interpreting some of the rules here too - government run / controlled test centres for the mot / psv rather than indy garages reporting to vosa as in the rest of the uk. Very much depends on what testers mood / frame of mind is on the day. Fortunalley not just as bad yet as some of the euro / tuv based tests. Last time with a Landy the guy insisited that the 110 need to pay extra / was in the wrong class as it had more than 8 seats fitted lol...

I'm hoping to go down the HD route rather than 2" random spring co ltd lift - my 110 csw drove much better when I returned it to stock after 5 odd years of 2" lift. I have a set of what I beleieve are the HD rear springs and will try the 'old' back ones in the front ina few weeks time hopefully.

The old back ones will not fit in the front as the springs are a different diameter?

A couple of comments;

I don't think the camel discos ever had 235/85r16s, I think early ones had 6.50r16s and later ones had 235/75r16s.

A lift won't make a difference to tyre clearance once the suspension is compressed, only larger bump stops will help. That said, as others have mentioned above, 235/85r16s should clear depending on wheel off set. A cut at the rear of the rear arch (camel cut) may be required. I had 265/75r16 on mine with no lift and they didn't touch the inner arches, the wings needed a lot of trimming though!

If lift springs are a legality issue then new factory HD springs would work fine, unless you want the extra height to aid break over, approach and departure angles...

Interesting subject and I'm keen to know the final solution, I looked at the bigger daimeters but opted for standard for two main reasons, one was the lack in Oz of a wide variety of tyre makers, 16" x 225 x 70 are very common and prices competative, 86 aspect ration are as rare as hens teeth and bloody expensive and I will never ever use Coopers again

If lift springs are a legality issue then new factory HD springs would work fine, unless you want the extra height to aid break over, approach and departure angles...

Now this is why I initially wanted the lift as the Discovery has a fair over hang to be honest and approach angles aren't too great either, lifting would not solve these but it would improve them a little, I have so much to do on it to get it road legal at the moment but finding a way to reduce front and rear excessive over hangs with a little bending of the rules but without actually breaking them, but that's for another thread another time.

Without a doubt I will be fitting extended bump stops to stop them slamming the arches but an issue brought forth with those fitted without the lift is the fact that I have then limmited the articulation of the axles!!!

Oh dear, head scratching time yet again.....