Circlip pliers

Se7enUp

Can anyone recommend a pair of decent circlip pliers?

All the previous (cheapo) pairs I've had end up either twisting, breaking or becoming an effective launching device to ping circlips into the next world...never to be seen again by man.

I'm happy to spend a few £££ to get something that will a, work and b, last.

I have found that one set just won't do for every size clip, i have tried lots of different sets I have 2 different sizes of the type with removable tips these tend to have a lot of slop in them.

A couple of years ago I gave up on the removable tip type and bought this set from Mac

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-319773-12-pc-quarter-turn-retaining-ring-pliers-set.aspx

Mine was about £135 they work very very well the tips are very slightly shaped to grip the circlip so it doesn't escape quite so easily. They haven't been defeated yet.

For large circlips these are good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-10-250mm-Circlip-Plier-Set-Interchangeable-Tips-/271137011525?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f21067745

They have interchangeable heads but they are firmly screwed on and have a ratchet which is very handy.

Just small enough for half shaft circlips, but the are too big for anything smaller.

I have found that one set just won't do for every size clip, i have tried lots of different sets I have 2 different sizes of the type with removable tips these tend to have a lot of slop in them.

A couple of years ago I gave up on the removable tip type and bought this set from Mac

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-319773-12-pc-quarter-turn-retaining-ring-pliers-set.aspx

Mine was about £135 they work very very well the tips are very slightly shaped to grip the circlip so it doesn't escape quite so easily. They haven't been defeated yet.

Now that explains why I'm never happy with circlip pliers .... I haven't got enough!

That set looks expensive at first but it's 12 pairs of pliers and by the looks of it each pair of pliers can be setup for internal or external circlips. Another thing on the tool lust list ;)

i had a full set of Bergen US pro circlip pliers at about £25 that went missing before i even had chance to use them :angry2: however they looked decent quality, and like the single pair of external clarke pro pliers i could afford to replace them with, they all had sort of grooves on them to kind of grip the circlip in an anti ping attempt.

the clarke ones work extremely well for this, and the Bergen US pro ones seemed much better quality.

(these are all suited for the size generally found on Land rovers.

I've suffered the same issues until recently - found a large and small pair of these type by Churchill on e**y:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Heavy-Duty-Churchill-Circlip-Pliers-Pat-no-728861-Major-7065-used-see-d-/230847089667

Although £45 is a bit steep, mine were about £15-20 each. They do both internal and external and have replaceable bits (a very good thing IMHO). Good British tools that make light work - the big pair will do something like 4-5 inch diameter!