'91 110CSW rear axle hub - how many oil seals???

As the title says. The LR WSM (updated to include all Defender models up to 1993) shows just one oil seal, inboard of the inner bearing (Vol. 2, Section 64, p9, item 13), but the 1987 110 Parts Catalogue (Part No. RTC9932CE, dated August 1994) shows two oil seals, the first as in the WSM and the second one outboard of the outer bearing (p427, items 6 & 13, FRC8221 & FRC8222 respectively.)

- Which is correct, if either?

- Was there a change of design, which isn't mentioned in either of the publications?

- Do I need to put two seals back in?

Any clarification will be very much appreciated, and thanks, in advance to any and all who can help.

Mike

The second thread mentions removing the outer seals, but doesn't show one. Also no mention of putting one back in. Personally I have worked on drum and disc braked 110 axles and not seen an outer seal on any of them.

If I remeber correctly, there are too types of seals... 1) (early seal) just has a lip seal to the stub axle 2) (later) has a lip seal but also an integrated face seal that mates up agains the flat face of the stub axle...

Mav

Just replace what's there like for like. So if you've only one seal then stick with that.

The hubs that have outer seals (which include early 90, and I'm not sure what else) also have a "seal land spacer" which acts both as the thrust washer you tighten the hub nuts against and as a land for the outer hub seal to run on. It has a small rubber section in the middle to seal to the stub axle.

I think versions that had outer hub seals were the ones that had no seal on the half shaft where it passes through the axle tube/stub axle joint. The outer seal is then supposed to stop oil getting into the hub. Some people used to purposely remove them to allow this to happen as it would help prolong bearing life, but be aware that oil is a lot better at getting out of the hub seals than grease is. So if your inner hub seal or the land it runs on (on the stub axle) is worn then I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the input. When I was in UK last year I bought spare seals on the basis of the Parts Manual, and only looked at the WSM yesterday in preparation for replacing a leaking seal. Today I've stripped the hub and found that it has got two seals, so I lucked out by buying on the basis of the Parts Manual. All went back as original, so it should be good now for a few more years, but when I'm in UK this summer I'll get some more spares - just in case! Many thanks, again, for all your input.. Mike.

Before somebody calls me out, I was tidying up in the w'shop after completing the rear hub oil seal replacement, and the breeze must have turned the page of the WSM. Lo and behold, on Section 64, p10 there's a section: REAR HUBS, With inner and outer seals. From axle numbers .....

Isn't it nice to know that you've done something right after all?

Mike