Best way to cover up hole in back of dash??

First, let me say that after owning a Discovery for ten years, I finally purchased my first Defender! Since which I've been reading and reading and reading posts by all of you across dozens of topics and questions and have found more than enough answers every time - without having to post any questions of my own. There is a treasure trove of info on here. Thank you!

Now, for my first question, because I can't find anything like it on here:

When I purchased my Defender, the very back inside of the dashboard had been cut out to expose the wires behind the dash. I believe this was done to connect a CB, which I do not need. The wires look awful exposed in the dash. I've attached some photos here. What is the best way to cover this?? I've looked through everything on here and can't find a suitable alternative. Obviously I don't want to buy a new dash - and want something that looks smart, not too DIY. Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Ryan

Defender 90 TD (1988)

post-57824-0-24919000-1365365975_thumb.jpeg

post-57824-0-87534000-1365365984_thumb.jpeg

post-57824-0-75059000-1365365997_thumb.jpeg

looks to me that the previous owner has relocated the clock/cig lighter & cover from the dash centre to one side, perhaps 2 of these http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/756/346786-AUXILLIARY-INSTRUMENT-REAR-COVER.html?search=346786&page=1

made into one would do a cover up job.have a look on ebay for them,

or a sheet of 2mm black plasticard from a model shop, suitable scored & bent & cut to shape would do.

All you need is a piece of 26 guage metal, a vice, hammer, pop rivet gun, cordless drill and 2 pairs of flat jaw vice grips and you can make a very profeshional looking cover - just spray it matte black or the same as the dash and it would look like it was intended to be there.

mrc7282 although I wouldn't go for a new one :blink: £100+. I took mine out for a bit of wiring, it's not a bad job about 1/2 hour work. Just need to pull lh heater hose out and remove top of capping off dashboard edge. then there are about 8-10 posi screws along rear edge

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-Defender-DASH-inner-tray-/221197098832?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33805fdf50

Doesn't look like the metal dash cover has been cut, it looks like it's just the plastic finisher. Piece of plastic, either black or sprayed and then bent to the correct angle. You could fix it by drilling it and using the plastic rivets that just push through. I think they've been replaced by screws in your photo. Otherwise small black self tappers and you have a neat, easy access panel for when you need to get to the wiring (you wil!)

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...