Anderson type plug

Hi, looking for some advice regards fitting anderson type plug under the bonnet of an 2003 TD5 90.

This is the type used on fork lift trucks and someone suggested connecting to the starter motor as this is fed direct from the battery and earthing on engine or chassis. Is this doable or am I looking at potential problems?

As ever, thanks for any help.

Regards

Dennis.

Just on the subject of Anderson connectors, will leaving a five meter lead attached to battery and Anderson connector other end cause any damage or battery drain?

thanks

Nope as long as there is no load on it, its just a bit of cable I would put an isolator on it though just so its live only when you want it to be,

and TBH I'd fit a mega fuse as well but that just me :lol:

Wanted to use for connecting my jump leads to, the connector quite large and would be in the way in the footwell (have air con), also cables not long enough to go from engine bay to battery box.

Regards

Dennis

The anderson connector would go against the seat box(near enough to the edge closest to the door) as mine does and as such wouldn't be in the way of your aircon-make sure If you are going to do this that you space the anderson connector out away from the seat box with a couple of washers so that you can plug your jump leads with little difficulty

HTH

John

• 2 weeks later...

You can connect the positive lead for your Anderson plug to the starter motor battery +ve terminal, and the negative (ground) to either a starter motor mounting bolt or another nearby bellhousing bolt.

You will get better results if you connect directly to the vehicle battery, but if other factors prevent this then connecting to the starter/bellhousing will be adequate