Hi all, after a few services I have about 50 litres of waste oil ( mainly engine , but also diff and box fluids also )

I am a hobbiest not trade, I went to my local tip who are usually quite chilled but refused to accept it unless its in 5litre tubs, I did ask nicely that if I had ten x5 litre tubs at once if that would be ok ? "Yep" was the reply :0)

So I now need to do many trips with the One and only 5litre tub I have, or I'm open to suggestions please ??

They have one large container it all goes in, so I can't see the problem, but I respect there "rules "

Thanks for ya time in reading this post

Any ideas where I can get rid please ??

Hi where are you I,l have it if local if not put it on the bay as a freebe it will soon go.

If any body as any near boston Lincs, PM me and i will collect if a good amount.

Thanks Paul.

Out of curiosity, what will you do with it?

Cheers,

Mike

Mate's workshop heater runs off waste oil :)

So waste oil is a commodity, with worth in the right quantities, why do tips not take as much as they can?

The whole question of restrictions at tips annoys the heck out of me. Why don't they allow me to pay around the rules? If I want to dump waste I can, I just pay extra...

Oh, the last tip i went to has a big tub away from the main area... Perhaps its just a case of driving around a few?

Sorry about the soap box, it's just so frustrating that councils don't see an obvious money maker...

Shame they don't also see the link between flytipping of all sorts and banning the tips from taking trade waste. I know traders/builders/pikeys will take advantage but on balance, the cost of clearing up flytipping must outweigh the trader problems

Shame they don't also see the link between flytipping of all sorts and banning the tips from taking trade waste. I know traders/builders/pikeys will take advantage but on balance, the cost of clearing up flytipping must outweigh the trader problems

You know, I don't think people would take advantage.

Besides, so what if they do, most waste these days has worth. What costs money is shifting it around.

I'd like to see a trader try and drop off a tonne of brick rubble at a modern tip, it would take all day!

BTW Where do you take stuff if you're a trader?

dads a trader, all his 'clean' rubble goes to a local farmer for £10 a load the rest goers in the back of his van to the tip. for free. he just has to have a access card, which they give you for free, that says its definitely not trade waste, honest govner.

and all my waste oil goes to the same tip in the back of my disco in 4 25l drums. bout once a year.

I'm in Hampshire, our tip does have the seperate large oil drum/collecter and I guess they re sell it onwards ( as far as I'm aware many products are produced from waste oil , like WD40 type things )

I reckon it's a jobs worth / rules thing, which I understand ( maybe not agree with )

As it happens i do have a permit for a 6x4 trailer which igot told I needed, so I applied online to my council and recieved f.o.c , however I've never been asked to produce it :0)

I can see a common theme here ( jobs worth ) maybe :0))

If a landy owner /trader is local i will entertain a delivery to them ,

Thanks for the replies so far

Bordon tip in Hampshire takes my oil and I take it in 25-50L containers with no problems. Or go again to your local at a different time of the day/weekend so you don't get the same numpty telling you you cant get rid of it. If that doesn't work ask to see the paper work on site restriction because it doesn't look like they are any to do with the amount of oil you can take per house hold per month and if there isn't then they are obligated to take it. Some of these people working at this sort of place act like little hitlers remember your taxes are paying for this service.

info on Hampshire sites

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/waste-and-recycling/hwrcs-2/find-hwrc.htm

have fun :)

Just found this so they are in the right to a degree. I'd still have a go at them if they didn't take it.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/domestic-waste-search.htm?materialtype=domestic-waste-fuel-oil&submit=Search+%C2%BB

Fuel/oil

HWRC: Engine oil can be taken to your local HWRC. The oil must be deposited in a suitable sealed container, a maximum of 10 litres can be deposited per person per six months.

If you have more than the accepted amount please contact a private disposal company.

Petrol and diesel are not accepted at HWRCs.

My two local garages run big heaters all winter on waste oil burners, and on cold days theyre very happy to take it off your hands. However in summer they just look at you gone out!

I've got a 400gallon tank full of sump/trans oil... oil burner project needs to hurry up for next winter!

I run the house heating on it so to me it does have a value and its nice to use a product that most peple find a problem.

Interesting, do you just pour it into the tank? Any filtering before hand?