Installing a Britpart Wheel Carrier (part number 2232)

I bought a Britpart spare wheel carrier (part number 2232) off Ben (WHO4 MUD)... Now, in the box there were two of these jobbers:

gallery_25707_1348_420440.jpg

The instructions make no mention of what they are, or what they do. Anyone got any ideas?

Ta, Mike

Pictures on the web only show one of them and the instructions mention a spacer to fit inside the crossmember for the big bolt on the lower hinge. Could it be that? The flat bar could possibly just be to make putting it in place easier?

All just guess work though.

EDIT: Having looked at the install instructions again online that is the spacer for that bolt .... you seem to have a bonus one! :) Have a close look at the bottom left most picture on page 4 (assuming the online instructions are the same as yours)

EDIT2: The instructions I saw it in http://www.slideshare.net/JoaoCarreira2/da22321

Pictures on the web only show one of them and the instructions mention a spacer to fit inside the crossmember for the big bolt on the lower hinge. Could it be that? The flat bar could possibly just be to make putting it in place easier?

All just guess work though.

EDIT: Having looked at the install instructions again online that is the spacer for that bolt .... you seem to have a bonus one! :) Have a close look at the bottom left most picture on page 4 (assuming the online instructions are the same as yours)

EDIT2: The instructions I saw it in http://www.slideshare.net/JoaoCarreira2/da22321

That's the one... I couldn't see it on the instructions I have.

And I missed these ones!

Question answered.

I hope I haven't bent my cross member (sounds painful!)

Cheers,

Mike

That's the one... I couldn't see it on the instructions I have.

And I missed these ones!

Question answered.

I hope I haven't bent my cross member (sounds painful!)

Cheers,

Mike

I missed it the first time I looked at those instructions, it was only when I had them full screen that I noticed it.

If you've bent it Mike I'm sure it won't take long to 'adjust' it with a hammer and an old bolt. ;)

Oh Dear, for my sins I have one of those, just make sure that the drilling for the bottom pivot grease nipple goes all the way thro, or when you come to grease it.... Go on then ask me how I know.

Also you will probably need to tweak the three wheel mounting studs with a 6 foot scaffolding tube to make the wheel parallel to the door, and the powder coating will fall off, other than that...........................

Just remember it came in a big blue box

Yeah, now that makes sense... I thought it only took a tiny little bit of grease...

I'll give it a couple of years then get it grit blasted and painted properly.

I've stuck neoprene between the parts and daisy to stop any rust ebbing through...

For wee while, during a minor bout of temporary insanity, I was seriously considering buying a low voltage home powder coating kit to redo my now tricked and tweaked wheel carrier. They are only a couple of hundred, BUT, I couldn't find a second hand oven large enough to fit the bloody thing in. It fitted in the household oven, trouble is if the wife caught me, my testicles would be history.......

For wee while, during a minor bout of temporary insanity, I was seriously considering buying a low voltage home powder coating kit to redo my now tricked and tweaked wheel carrier. They are only a couple of hundred, BUT, I couldn't find a second hand oven large enough to fit the bloody thing in. It fitted in the household oven, trouble is if the wife caught me, my testicles would be history.......

Is that like cleaning up your alloy wheels in the dishwasher?

I washed the water pump/p-gasket bracket in the bath once, you should have heard the fuss... It wasn't as if the baby was in with it for more than 5 minutes.

Amateur! When I was younger I degreased a Mini engine in the (plastic) bath using a mixture of 111 Trichloroethane - dissolved the bath. I was not a popular bunny.

Lol, that stuff kills brain cells Jeff ..... oh wait :P

Trouble is it wasn't pure Trich, it was a weird cocktail of trich, isomers and heptanes, melted the bath. The full story is in Darwin Awards that I posted in 2010

Is that like cleaning up your alloy wheels in the dishwasher?

Washing your wheel rims in a dishwasher can be surprisingly effective if you follow a few simple rules.

Most importantly:

If you don’t live alone – consider the timing carefully, Its definitely best if your ‘significant other’ is ‘significantly elsewhere’. (a scheduled long haul flight ‘elsewhere’ is best)

It will also be a lot easier if you remove the tyres from the rims, and much better if you remove the wire basket trays from the machine.

You may need to make a temporary modification if your washer has a spinner under the top basket – you need to reduce / block / plug the feed to the spinner. - If you are a Land-Rover Owner I will not insult you with any advice as to how to stop the out-gushing of liquids – you will be well versed in this already.

You will need some spacers – there will vary with the size / model of your dishwasher. I found that Plastic Children’s beakers from Ikea work best. You need to arrange them in a ring on the bottom just outside the perimeter of the bottom spinners rotation and just above, Carefully arrange the first rim to sit on the beakers with the side you want to clean facing down. You can also use bricks - but there is a significant danger of collateral damage if it all goes wrong!

Next find some more ‘dishwasher safe’ spacing material (I’ve used 50mm X 30mm timber battens but don't use treated timber) so that you can arrange another rim on top of the lower rim, with the side you want to clean facing up. You need enough room for the top spinner to spin freely.

keep on taking the tablets:

you really don’t want too much salt in the system, and you need to get it out of the reservoir. I managed to do the opposite the top came off a full salt silo with devastating results. Detergent choice is tricky too - Start with dishwasher powder – and if you use detergents other than low suds you will have soapy foam everywhere, EVERYWHERE! As anyone who thought that washing-up liquid might work in a dishwasher will testify (actually they might be testifying at your wife’s trial for your murder)

ENjoy - and be Safe