Header tanks

task

The header tank on my Disco has decided to go the way of many duo's and split, lots of steam and bubbling while pulling into the car park.

From reading about the net and speaking with people this seems to be a fairly common occurrence with the plastic 200/300/V8 headers.

Allisport sell a lovely looking bit of kit for a lot of cash, paddocks sell something that looks decidedly worse for a lot less. I have the same header tank on the CSK and am now mildly paranoid that it's going to let go in the same way whilst I'm in the 30deg+ heat of Romania so am probably going to replace that one too.

My current line of thinking is to replace the CSK header and use the old one from the CSK on the Disco, as it's only ever used for plodding around once or twice a week.

Any experience of the cheapo header tanks? Are they made of cheese and likely to fail quickly?

Any experience of the allisport ones, do they fit back using the same fixings as advertised?

Am I just being paranoid?

Thoughts welcome :)

I had a transparent one from Allmakes that split....

Replacement was good and had a black one (Still in the garage) as a potential spare.

Ali versions are a great alrernative but lack the visibility of seeing a water level when the bonnet is open.

Horses for courses.....

I've ended up spending some cash and going for the bling allisport one.

Will strip the plastic tank from the CSK and fit to the Disco and fit the allisport one to the CSK when it arrives.

V8Freak - The level isn't visible on the black one either but I have a working level indicator on the CSK so not much of an issue.

Fridge - did consider that as I could have "borrowed" the one from the '81 I have waiting to be restored but I think the hose fittings are different and I believe I'd need some different fitting points.

Cheers for the advice :)

Why not fit a genuine metal one from an earlier vehicle, or something else in the scrapyard? Not as glamorous as ali but are tougher and field-repairable with solder.

This is why I kept my brass one from the TD when I put a 200tdi in. Think I used the same bottom hose as well as all the fittings were the same.