Rear bearing leak

Check your breather pipe and banjo bolt isn't blocked on top of the axle-9/16 AF spanner or 15mm 6 pointed socket(300 tdi and below) will undo it, make sure you take care when removing it as there should be two copper washers on the bolt-try not to lose them lol, you'll find If your breather is blocked it'll always leak oil out of that end of the axle-well mine does anyway, as theres no where for any pressure to build up to escape too

hth

John

Check your breather pipe and banjo bolt isn't blocked on top of the axle-9/16 AF spanner or 15mm 6 pointed socket(300 tdi and below) will undo it, make sure you take care when removing it as there should be two copper washers on the bolt-try not to lose them lol, you'll find If your breather is blocked it'll always leak oil out of that end of the axle-well mine does anyway, as theres no where for any pressure to build up to escape too

hth

John

thanks John, I'll check that tonight

Inside or outside of wheel?

Inside - likely to be the hub seal leaking down to either a knackered seal or the blocked breather as above.

Outside - the rubber cap split on the drive member (assuming yours has them!)

its outside and the black cap does look a bit cracked.......so would you recommend just changing that and seeing what happens over few days?

Change the cap. I bit of EP into the cap keeps the halfshaft splines lubricated.

Check also that the outer end of the halfshaft isn't worn. The hub flange is supposed to be reasonably tight on the inside to the splines. If it's not tight there the halfshaft will push the cap off.

• 2 weeks later...