Jimny vs defender

My Defender is completly standar and I'm really sure is way better than a standar Jimmny both in utility way and off road. In on road comfort the Jimny is better, but when you leave the road the Defender is more comfortable. I have to do off road all the time for work or simply because here we don't have much pavement. I used to have a Toyota HDJ80 with 4.5 gasoline engine, pretty good car but really weak option for working. However, that car is A LOT better in both on and off road than the Jimny..... and belive me, the 110 is far away in capacity over the Toyota (at least in continuos real off road both totally standar, don't know for heavy mod's cars and tournaments).

The Jimny, as some of you say, is really impressive when you drive it in off road, as well as the old Vitara, but have to go with heavy mods (any additional to MT tires) to cope a Defender in real world off road.

We don't have a lot of 90's here in OZ, but from what I have seen of them in action I feel their offroad capabilities in standard trim at least has been somewhat overstated, and even when modified there's that trackrod hanging below the axle tubes that would insure that a 90/110/RR is unlikely to complete my offroad course, specially prepared to rip that rod off regardless of whether it is reinforced or not.

Most of you seem to be comparing Off roading, the flip side is How easy are the to work on when broken? I know from reading posts on this forum that many a Defender has been fixed/bodged or what ever to enable it to continue, while other vehicle owners are phoning the recovery services...... There is a vast supply of parts for old and new models that can be interchangeable without too much trouble plus compared to some of the knuckle scrappers out there the defender is pretty easy to work on at home or in the feild.

Mutley

Tom17 -

If you are prepared to use dirty tricks, then let a couple of Defenders run the track you want to compare the two vehicles against each other. Preferably some deep, muddy section. You might catch the Jimny by the lower ground clearance that they usually have - when there are deeper ruts, they will get bogged down.

At the nearest playground over here there are some puddles. You cannot see how deep the water is. But you can be sure, that loads of Defenders, some 35"-tyred, and occasionally Volvo C303´s went through them over the last years. They left ruts on the ground of the puddle that are too deep for the Suzukis. Haven´t seen them coming through. Admittedly even lot of Defenders dare no more, or need extraordinarily lot of momentum.