RRS Wheel & Tyre choices - how big?

simonr

I was thinking about buying a RRS (not planning on a career as a Pimp / loan shark though, just yet ;) ) as they can be had for less than a Defender these days. Unusually, I'd like to off road it - lightly. I'm wondering what minimum rim size that will fit over the calipers is - I have a set of 16" D2 Beadlock steel rims which I'd like to use. Do any of the RRS's have small enough calipers to fit inside 16" rims?

Also, if I have to go for bigger than 16", what's the max tyre size available in Mud Terrain or All Terrain? I'm not bothered about trimming the arches / bodywork and hacking the air suspension to suit.

I'd like a vehicle I can use for long journeys in reasonable comfort, but that I can use for towing and light off roading - and keep my 110 for heavier stuff. I've looked at everything available (price wise) and concluded that I'd still like a LR vehicle - and a RRS is the most comfortable.

My friend has an L322 which is great - but I just don't find the seats comfortable, despite all the adjustments. I also don't care for the look of D3 / D4 - so a RRS it is!

Any clues would be very helpful!

Si

Thanks LN - that was helpful. I'm unconvinced about the bit saying that increasing the tyre size will cause problems & shut-downs with the electronics. Even if the ECU uses both the GPS and dead reckoning to calculate the speed, the GPS speed is variably accurate and the two are unlikely to agree better than about 10%.

Looks like I might have to make my own rims! If Matt Lee can do it - I can't see why not! Unimog rims are 18" (IIRC) + a laser cut centre, different wheel nuts and some steel elbows!

Si

I can't wait to see this! The latest 990 balers at work have some very wide 17's that would look monsterous on a RRS! Combine rear wheels are often 17 and 18" you could re centre them fairly easy.