Defender 200tdi Disco 200tdi same engine?

I have seen a lot of Disco 200tdi engines for sale and then you see a Defender 200tdi lump for sale and its sometimes twice the price :blink:

Apart from the configuration of downpipe, turbo etc .

Is it basically the same engine, with the same capabilities? Just wondered why the defender engine seems to carry a price premium. Perhaps it’s because the Defender unit doesn’t need any adaptation to fit into to another defender and that’s the reason in the price hike?

Just wondered

J ^_^

The experts will be able to give you a more definitive answer but I think that both are much the same, like you say, apart from exhaust and other fitments particular to the body design of the 2 vehicles. I also believe that there is a lot in common with the Austin Montego turbo diesel engine, I've seen quite a number of Series Land Rovers fitted with this engine.

I have seen a lot of Disco 200tdi engines for sale and then you see a Defender 200tdi lump for sale and its sometimes twice the price :blink:

Apart from the configuration of downpipe, turbo etc .

Is it basically the same engine, with the same capabilities? Just wondered why the defender engine seems to carry a price premium. Perhaps it’s because the Defender unit doesn’t need any adaptation to fit into to another defender and that’s the reason in the price hike?

Just wondered

J ^_^

You've answered your own question. The price premium comes from the fact that Defender engines bolt straight in with no fuss, whereas a Disco unit will require a modified downpipe etc. to to so.

The blocks are the same, the engine is practically the same in terms of performance/capabilities etc. though the Disco one is tuned ever so slightly differently. Not by enough to make a difference in practice though.

Defender & Discovery 200tdi common parts ---

engine block & all internal components including the flywheel & clutch.

cylinder head & all associated parts bolted to it

oil filter head [also common to all previous 4 cylinder engines, petrol & diesel fitted to 90/110]

different parts ---

timing case & internal gears

FIP -- Disco one gives slightly more bhp.

exhaust

air intake & manifolds

power steering pump

alternator

Another reason is that there were not a lot 90/110 Defenders build with a 200tdi. Soon after they put it in the Defender they introduced the 300tdi.

There were a lot off disco 1 build with the 200tdi engine though so that engine is more available then the defender engine.

The availability(or lack of) and because it is an easier fit make the Defender version more expensive.

Cheers,

Eric.