Roof Hatch Build

I'm wanting to put a hatch in the roof of my defender and I'm pretty sure how I want ot go about doing it (However suggestions welcome on alternatives). I'm currently thinking cut a hole in the roof, use aluminium section to create a lip, and use an access cover to hill the hole.

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced access cover from. Preferably in ali but possibly galv steel if ali not available/expensive. I'm after one of the air ducting style ones that are fairly light weight/tin guage metal.

I've doe a quick search on the internet and only seem to be able to find the hugely expensive, heavy duty types.

The other thing I had considered is a boat style hatch but these too for a reasonable size are hugely expensive.

I'm not bothered about it being weight bearing just something to keep the rain out :ph34r: .

I'm wanting to put a hatch in the roof of my defender

Go on, I'll ask.

Why do you want to put a hatch in the roof of your defender?

Please tell me it's so you can add an ejector seat.

Cheers,

Mike

Nope, although I would like one (a roof tent that is).

Primarily as a shooting hatch but I also though :blink: that chances are that it would be more waterproof than a standard sun roof too.

Eventually I want to soft top it but the boss won't let me spend any more money on none maintenance related part this year. :mellow:

in fact we may have one at work.

Would you be looking to part with it and if so, what sort of money would we be talking?

Rich

How about modifying an ex-mod flight / equipment case?

Very solid, fibreglass, waterproof etc. just cut the top off the box to retain the sealing / latching rim then mount it using angle and a tube of sealant. Good size, good styling... Just relocate catches inside!

May possibly have something suitable with a bit of history if youre interested?

Not sure what, if any difference there is between the seals TBH, I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult to use a later type as they are identical in size. I've never had to replace the seal and you get new ones with the hatch. As far as I can see the only difference would be the small cutout areas for the mechanism - nothing that careful use of a sharp knife couldn't fix.

There are a few places still selling the seals including Craddocks btw.

If you cut out your desired shape, then pop rivet/ tigerseal Ali angle sticking upwards around the inside edge, then add angle in a similar way but facing down around the outside of your cut out bit, get some old door seal to go over the angle on the roof, add some hinges, some c section to strengthen the hatch and get the handle from a tractor back window/ sunroof ( quarter turn handle) and bobs your mothers uncle.

I would also put a lip on the roof so the handle on the hatch can lock it open, there's not much worse than a sunroof/hatch slamming shut and open as you bounce across a field.

Radiusing the angle to make it look good would be the hardest part a Shrinker stretcher would be handy here.

Will.

If you cut out your desired shape, then pop rivet/ tigerseal Ali angle sticking upwards around the inside edge, then add angle in a similar way but facing down around the outside of your cut out bit, get some old door seal to go over the angle on the roof, add some hinges, some c section to strengthen the hatch and get the handle from a tractor back window/ sunroof ( quarter turn handle) and bobs your mothers uncle. I would also put a lip on the roof so the handle on the hatch can lock it open, there's not much worse than a sunroof/hatch slamming shut and open as you bounce across a field. Radiusing the angle to make it look good would be the hardest part a Shrinker stretcher would be handy here. Will.

Thats essentially what I was thinking but just need a suitable hatch lid. I know they are available for not a lot of money but I can't seem to find one at the moment anywhere. So maybe they are not as available as I think :rolleyes:

How about modifying an ex-mod flight / equipment case?

Very solid, fibreglass, waterproof etc. just cut the top off the box to retain the sealing / latching rim then mount it using angle and a tube of sealant. Good size, good styling... Just relocate catches inside!

May possibly have something suitable with a bit of history if youre interested?

That could be an idea. What you got? :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers,

Rich