1976 series 3 rebuild

samc88

Right then, today we managed to do that whole list Ii put up in the last post and got the front end practically finished. Only thing that needs doing bodywork wise is bolting the wings and wing stays up properly as there is a large gap between bonnet and wing on the passenger side.

PA191800_zpsd425d038.jpg

PA191802_zps6791a803.jpg

Also got the roof rubbed down and painted in limestone tonight :) Going to do the sides when its actually on the vehicle

PA191803_zpse96b8960.jpg

Tomorrow we'll hopefully all being well get the brakes bled and the roof on :)

Got the roof on tonight, all be it on blocks so we can stick mastic down before finally fitting it in place

PA201804_zps844e456f.jpg

PA201805_zpsc7d469a2.jpg

PA201806_zps801375df.jpg

PA201807_zps00e3eab6.jpg

The more observant amongst you may realise its facing the opposite direction to yesterday, that's because we bled the brakes this morning and my dad backed it out the garage, turned it and backed it in to make it easier to get the roof on. And yes this time I have a video of it (filmed by my brother on his phone hence the funny quality - will do a better one tomorrow with the proper camera after sorting out the tappets)

th_video-2013-10-20-14-03-25_zps63b4c154

Been adjusting my fuel pump today as it was kicking off a lot of white smoke and running a bit lumpy (i.e. it was firing a bit too late so a lot of excess diesel was going through the exhaust)

To set the timing on the 2.5 N/A diesel, you slacken off the 3 nuts holding the pump to the front timing case just enough so you can lever the pump. Start up the engine and while its running use a long pry-bar to tilt the pump towards the wing to bring the timing in (and the opposite to make it fire later). Its amazing how much difference a little bit of pump movement makes, 1 second it was running lumpy and with a slight nudge the engine note changed for the better and the smoke started to disappear. Result now is its running far far smoother than it was in the video with no white smoke at all.

Today we also painted the roof sides in limestone (will get pics tomorrow after work and will try and get a decent video of the engine running) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, a little update, got the tunnel and seats in. The floor was put down but then remembered I need to put mastic on there first :doh: So that will be done tomorrow.

Today, I've painted the sump and just done some touching up of the chassis's black paint while my Dad has been doing a little more on our centre console radio holder thingy.

Earlier we drove the series out the garage to turn it round to put it on the ramps and even with the doors off and no headlining, its already quieter than it used to be so result :)

Will get some piccy's tomorrow when we get the floor and stuff in :)

Don't glue the floor down, you'll curse it when you need to remove it again. The factory fit is to use an adhesive foam seal strip, similar to the type you use for sealing up draughts in doors/windows. And indeed when I do them I just use some of that from B&Q!

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your post though!

Right then another update methinks.

We were getting fed up with constantly shifting stuff around the garage and we had some wood to use up so we built ourelves a few shelves in the top end of the garage for putting project bits and pieces on.

PC011892_zps45456c86.jpg

This now of course means the back of the landy could be cleared out :) This also shows the roof on and the ladder on temporarily to keep it out of the way.

PC011893_zps8725a64c.jpg

Inside has been bolted in now and is ready for carpet

PC011905_zps0a0e42ad.jpg

PC011902_zps516f4f58.jpg

And a couple of pics showing how our homemade radio console will fit (the notch is so we can get into reverse

PB241885_zps97a5fcaa.jpg

PB241881_zpsa6dee08b.jpg

PB241880_zpsf3509433.jpg

While my dad had a week off he welded up the door bottoms and put soundproofing in them

PC011907_zps3abbb902.jpg

This morning I painted the door tops ready for putting the glass in over the next week hopefully :)

PC011909_zpsd0e3997a.jpg

PC011910_zps70f5aeef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Right then tonight we set about removing the glass from the drivers door top (doing one at a time to reduce risk of mixing parts up)

First job was to remove the aluminium strip at the front of the glass using a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the screws

PC101952_zps261a12e9.jpg

PC101954_zps61e3b58e.jpg

Next the rubber stop was removed

PC101953_zps423dadf6.jpg

PC101955_zps968230f3.jpg

Then the 4 screws in the felt runner were removed. These are difficult to spot and go in at an angle

PC101956_zps03a99c09.jpg

Once these screws are out, you can tilt the sliding glass and remove it from the frame

PC101957_zps8b85190d.jpg

One of the filler pieces

PC101958_zps3956240a.jpg

Using a blade the old mastic type stuff was removed (very carefully so as not to damage the glass and prevent it cracking)

PC101959_zps444e8fa1.jpg

This bit can then be removed

PC101960_zps4efcb9cd.jpg

The window lock was then removed by drilling through the rivets that hold it on. I'm going to try and get some stickaflex to use when putting the glass back in (maybe tomorrow if I can get some)

The original sticky sealant stuff is called Dum Dum putty and you can still buy it, paddocks stocks it and i find it works really well, as it never completely dries out this means it doesn't shrink like "silicone" sealants and therefore keeps a better seal.

you apply it by hand rolling it into sausages and pressing down onto the window frame, and it is kind of play doh like not too messy to work with and doesn't get all over everything like sitickaflex

The original sticky sealant stuff is called Dum Dum putty and you can still buy it, paddocks stocks it and i find it works really well, as it never completely dries out this means it doesn't shrink like "silicone" sealants and therefore keeps a better seal.

you apply it by hand rolling it into sausages and pressing down onto the window frame, and it is kind of play doh like not too messy to work with and doesn't get all over everything like sitickaflex

Thanks for that :) I know I can buy that stuff but I can get stickaflex from work pretty handy, we use it for putting the windows in boats so should be okay for this I think. We use stickaflex also for doing skin fittings so the seal should be good :)

Thanks for the info though :)

Sicaflex took the paint of my door tops and window also dropped out as I had been advised screws would not be required with it.

Dum Dum for me .

Its stuck on now with sicaflex, put a decent bead all round :) How did it take the paint off, did you try peeling off the bits that went over?

I think I'll be definitely putting the screws back in :D

Shame about the notch in the radio mount - it looks very smart otherwise. I had a similar issue when I fit a Mudstuff centre console. I used a blow torch, vice and length of steel tube to bend the gear stick towards the driver's seat to create the require clearance, and even though I had to put a 10 degree (estimated) bend about 1/3 of the way up from the base because I could't get the vice to grip well enough lower down and also to ensure the lower part of the lever clears the overdrive lever, it looks perfectly original and smart and also make reaching and selecting all gears much, much easier (especially for shorter people). I think LR only made the levers so far forward to allow use of the middle seat, so unless you need to use it, then bending the stick is a good alternative.

Incidentally, I found heat-shrink cable sleeving a very good way of creating a smooth, even and chip/scratch-resistant finish. Paint is just to much hassle and is so easy to scratch...

Shame about the notch in the radio mount - it looks very smart otherwise. I had a similar issue when I fit a Mudstuff centre console. I used a blow torch, vice and length of steel tube to bend the gear stick towards the driver's seat to create the require clearance, and even though I had to put a 10 degree (estimated) bend about 1/3 of the way up from the base because I could't get the vice to grip well enough lower down and also to ensure the lower part of the lever clears the overdrive lever, it looks perfectly original and smart and also make reaching and selecting all gears much, much easier (especially for shorter people). I think LR only made the levers so far forward to allow use of the middle seat, so unless you need to use it, then bending the stick is a good alternative.

Incidentally, I found heat-shrink cable sleeving a very good way of creating a smooth, even and chip/scratch-resistant finish. Paint is just to much hassle and is so easy to scratch...

It will look better when its finished I think as its going to have black carpet round it.

We did think of bending the gearstick but did the notch instead. (the TD5 radio console also has a notch but not as pronounced), may still bend it to do that eventually but for now it looks ok (looks better in real life than on the photos) :)

The middle seat is staying in by the way, I know its useless for anyone over 4' but 'm going to use the underseat toolbox as a sort of hidden cubby box. I dont think a cubby box looks quite right anyway (just my opinion, I've seen some very good homemade ones though). I think I'm going to bend the overdrive lever so it clears the middle seat anyway so bending the stick may be an option in the future but at the minute I find it ok to use as I'm pretty tall and can reach it okay

Heat shrink is a very good idea :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I'm back! One thing I forgot to mention is there are 4 filler strips in the window, One at the back, one at the bottom and 2 at the top (one above the sliding window and a flat one above the fixed pane of glass.

When putting the window lock in you may have to file the opening for i as if it's tight it will pinch on the sliding bit and will be stupidly tight to use if left like that. So I went around the swuare hole with a file until it fitted loosely and voila, the window lock works nicely now :) Also the bottom felt rail needs a hole cutting in the bottom for the window lock to actually go through to lock the window so that was done before fitting/

Tada! One finished window :)

PC171963_zps8c2bc023.jpg

A couple of pics of the doors now they have been reunited with the door tops :)

I lost 2 of the old door top nuts (they've been put somewhere safe!) so ordered new nylocs. If anyone needs to order these, the thread size is 7/16 UNF

PC271985_zpsd3b6679a.jpg

P1021990_zps4612eec7.jpg

The back door was cleaned up on Tuesday and its pretty good, just with a couple of minor areas that need attention

PC271986_zps9bdb3bac.jpg

It had holes in the bottom which were fixed by cutting out the old steel and welding in a new plate

There was also a big hole around where the door lock goes so this was welded up. (the picture shows it before the welds were ground back down)

PC271984_zps6ea669c3.jpg

The door was then given a coat of kurust and then I painted the steel sections with red oxide

P1021988_zpsf9a8a317.jpg

The next task was door seals, these are the on the roll ones from paddocks which dont have a metal strip in them. I have heard some stories of these not fitting well when put on but so far they seem to sit in the channel quite well and when stuck in place seem to match the old ones, we shall see when the doors are put on. It does help to cut the seals to length beforehand.

The way we stick them on is to wipe where the door seal sits clean with white spirit and wait for that to dry, then using sicaflex, a good bead is run down the channel. The seal is then pushed in place and held with spring clamps to ensure the sicaflex bonds properly.

With little clamps you can use them direct on the rubber but with larger more powwerful clamps, we used a bit of wood on top of the rubber to protect it. Here are some pics to show it :)

Clamps and wood in place:

P1021991_zps078a49cf.jpg

P1021992_zpsbd5ac435.jpg

many clamps are put on the curved section by the doors to help hold the rubber down and give it a chance to bond properly

P1021994_zpsc88bd4c6.jpg

Heres one we prepared earlier (its actually a lot straighter than it looks in the picture on the windscreen edge). The sicaflex has bonded to it well and it makes for a good strong bond

P1021995_zps722eac81.jpg

We elected to do the back door seal in one piece instead of 5 (excuse the poor lighting)

P1021993_zps484acd41.jpg

Also swapped the transfer box knobs around for new ones. The yellow one is a pain, you need to get underneath and wedge something so that the yellow lever does not push down (i.e. it is kept in the fully up position). Then you put the spring on and compress it enough for the thread on the locknut/knob to start (you can compress with no tools, just using your hands). One hand kept the spring compressed and the other wound the nut/ knob on. The manual states that when the lever is depressed, "adjust the locknut until the compressed spring length is 58mm (2.312" ) "

P1021996_zpsf4366ec6.jpg

The console has been fitted at the top, just needs attaching at the bottom (hence the gap)

P1021997_zps74330263.jpg

I dont think I showed you how we mounted the stereo aerial so heres a couple of pics

P1021999_zpseae6252e.jpg

with it fully extended

P1021998_zps4f8f67ae.jpg

More to come soon! Going to finish off the seals tomorrow (we leave the sicaflex overnight to allow it to get a strong bond - it does go off quicker but its better than disturbing it beforehand) and then when they're done the doors are ready to go on :)