Stolen - winch. d44 bumper and grill

Peter

Stolen off of my 90 sometime last night from Swanley, Kent.

After having a superb day out at Brighton. Details of what was taken.

Grill, 3 top bars painted gloss military green rest drab olive.

D44 Bumper (Very rare) bought Billing 2006

Beamach Winch Bra

Come-up DV9000i winch Serial number 022868

Galvanised D rings,

Master Pull aluminum Hawse (Imprinted)

Master Pull synthetic winch rope - yellow with first strand orange (From USA)

Was all bolted together with new extra long bumper bolts - also taken

D44 bumper has elongated holes - adapted to make bumper fit to front of 90.

All very straight. The bumper is slightly unique not only having the famous tapered ends and D44 stamped in it, but also having been drilled to have a winch bra fitted, with the 2 extra holes in front.

The date is currently wrong but some photo's of the set up can been seen here:

http://www.kentlandroverclub.co.uk/2006/stolen.htm

If anybody hear's anything please let me know in here.

I will be at the sortout - selling again this year - so will have a look around as much as possible.

Cheers

Peter

i'm just down the road from you, in Northfleet... i suggest you take a look at some of the local 'traveller communities' i'm certain thats where my 110 Td5 went... when it disapeared from welling earlier this year...

the Plod couldn't care less, and if its the pikeys that have had it away, they won't help you retrieve it... because pikeys are above the law. :angry:

theres a boot sale at the big golf course by the A20 turn-off, most sundays... (pedham place??) i'd have a look there... full of pikeys, usually selling stolen plant and powertools.... :angry::rolleyes:

A friend had his disco td5 nicked last week....

Two days later the police phoned to say they had located the vehicle......

You would think at this point they would be round to that address, interveiw the peoples who's drive the disco was sitting on then arrest or interveiw more people until they find the crooks......

Yeh, right...

They phoned my friend, informed him of it's whereabouts, he then asked if they where going to recover it.

This is the best bit.... :rolleyes:

They said, Yes we can, but we would have to charge you. However the police man in question, then suggested that perhaps my mate could go and get it himself...!!! Thus saving him the expense.....! :o

So thats what my mate did, he got his wife to drive to the pikey camp address in Orpington.

He then walked as bold as brass up to his vehicle (Which incidently was parked neatly in front of the dewlling!) unlocked it and drove off..... :ph34r:

Now does that all seem alittle bit wrong to you.....? :unsure:

Peter i wish you every success with finding your kit. If i was you i'd whip up to Woodlands next time it's on, Follow the bloke home (If your successful) and then imform the police or your local Landrover club inforcement officer (BIG bloke)

Good luck

Jim :)

Is there anything that can be done to help stop things like winches and bumpers being nicked? (apart from baseball bats and flame throwers)

Really sorry to hear your bad news Peter - hopefully you will have some luck finding them because of them being distinctive.

you could put a blob of weld onto the nuts after they've been done up, that way you'd need a grinder to cut the weld away before you could undo the nut.

use unusual fixings, large hex-key or torx-head bolts.... as the local scallys are unlikely to have the correct tools...

always use nylocs on everything, you need to get a spanner on both ends and they take a lot longer to undo...

if you go to a decent fastener suppliers (try SEF if in essex) they should have various security bolts and screws you can look at.

Thanks,

I don't think welding the bumper chassis bolts in will work, equally the rounded caps will mean when the winch breaks or the bumper bends - how the hell do you get them off, - which in my case has been nearly every other month.

Yes I know the various nut and bolt places locally, and indeed could change all my bolt heads for tri-lug bolt heads that need a key like allloy locking wheels - but this is an expense route I should not have to go down. And could give me problems if out in the field and haven't got the key with the vehicle. Thoughts of extreme cold, a muddy hole on the last lane of the day and teeming rain come flooding to my mind. (right John :rolleyes: )

Perhaps its something for Si @ X-eng to design, btw he's looking for a vitara auto to borrow.

Have spent the last 9 months trying to get a half decent winch that does not break on its first pull, and a bumper that does not bend negotiating a cross angle situation.

At the end of the today - I think I'm mostly gutted at losing the grill. Sentimental reasons. Like photo's when your house is broken into. The winch wasn't perfect, and always felt the bumper was a few inches too low anyway.

A couple of friends of mine from Kent LRC say they have bought alarms for their landrover's today, another has decided to keep his winch in the garage, and only put it on when going off roading - well his is a more expensive USA model. And he only takes it out about once a month.

If anything, think everyone should be on their guard and not assume the winch is safe on the front of their vehicles.

Cheers

Peter

BTW been 15 hours and still awaiting for the police to phone back :o !

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks,

I don't think welding the bumper chassis bolts in will work, equally the rounded caps will mean when the winch breaks or the bumper bends - how the hell do you get them off, - which in my case has been nearly every other month.

Yes I know the various nut and bolt places locally, and indeed could change all my bolt heads for tri-lug bolt heads that need a key like allloy locking wheels - but this is an expense route I should not have to go down. And could give me problems if out in the field and haven't got the key with the vehicle.

It depends on how much you really want to hang on to your stuff! :rolleyes: