wide-angle propshafts

well it seems to be that time of year again where i have propshaft failure

probably should have re greased them after her being laid up for 7 months whoops

anway

id like to get some decent wide angle props this time instead of the cheap britpart poo that was on it

does anyone have any suggestions as to the best i can get, including value for money?

gwyn lewis?

bailey morris?

thanks

tom

i have a cheapo wide angle (theyre all the same unless you buy a bailey morris IMO) and its been superb.

Just buy it, fit it, use it til a joint goes funny and then only replace with GKN joints, the rest is just metal.

Saves yourself at least £100 per propshaft that way.

My front shaft cooks it's top joint every few months/500 miles because it is very close to the oversize exhaust (v8) but as far as i can remember ive not replaced the bottom UJ since ive had the prop so fair enough to whatever joint was in it.

I'm pretty sure it was in a britpart bag but i just bought the cheapest new one available at the time off ebay, was around 90 quid, never looked back :)

I've just bought from Gwyn lewis a wide angle prop for the rear and it's spot on-these are made by bailey morris for them anyway, they do have from what I can remember HD UJ's in them

John

Pretty hard I guess

I mean I don't do trials or anything comp things.

Where I live is pretty off road and I take it along old logging roads allot, tow allot of heavy stuff, carry heavy things. I have his comp suspension on the truck too, but ended up putting twin shocks on the back (which really help when carrying heavy things with a heavy trailer too along these roads.

In the summer it can get up to +30º, in the winter it can go as low as -40º (but mostly around - 15 ishº)

Grease them every start of summer, and start of winter, that's it pretty much.

Badger, How long have you had them?, The reason I ask Is I've now got two of Gwyns props(bailey morris made ones) one wide angle rear and a double cardon one for the front and won't be extreme with them-I was sick and tired of rebuilding second hand stuff I had lying about so i went for new hence why I was asking about how long you'd had them.

John

thanks for the replys guys

for 5 years ive been doing the first option, rebuilding each uj when it fails but am fed up of it now so prepared to spend some money, probably buy some bailey morris ones

i think my rebuild cost has just hit about £5K haha :s

I had mine made by Dunning&Fairbank. Rear one is a wide angle DC shaft with 110mm slider, front shaft is a wide angle one with a 180mm slider. Both custom lenght.

Good quality. Front one has been on for at least 4years (20.000 miles or so) and is still perfect. Haven't even have to replace a u-joint yet. Rear shaft is more than a year old now with I guess 8.000 miles on it and is like new.

Fair price as well. Front shaft was 185pounds, rear one was 235pounds IIRC.