Land ranger info needed

The Saint

Hi, I have recently bought this vehicle which I believe to be a Land ranger kit car (I have minimal paperwork that came with the car). It is running on a RRC chassis and has a 3.9 V8 with manual gear box. I can not find any information on the net about Land ranger. Does anybody know anything about Land ranger or this RRC?

Regards Ben.

Truck.jpg

Am I imagining it or did the boss of the company have a big accident and they stopped selling them? Or was that Dakars? Something to do with the brake balance and the fact they don't change it despite pulling half a ton of weight off the back end... sure I had a conversation with someone about it, but yonks ago now. Thought I'd mention it what with being safety-critical and all.

Am I imagining it or did the boss of the company have a big accident and they stopped selling them? Or was that Dakars? Something to do with the brake balance and the fact they don't change it despite pulling half a ton of weight off the back end... sure I had a conversation with someone about it, but yonks ago now. Thought I'd mention it what with being safety-critical and all.

I seem to remember that someone bought a complete car from landranger, got pulled by the plod because of them questioning the legality of this conversion. It ended in the crusher, and the owner was fined 5K. This then went to court and the owners of landranger got done with community service for selling illegal cars (as in, modified and not informing the DVLA-VOSA).

This was obviously done to set an example for others. It prompted me to send my car for an SVA.

Daan

Wow, an interesting tangent. One of my future questions was going to be do I need to do anything about re-registering it on the V5 and going through the whole DVLA thing as it is still recorded as a '91 3.9 RRC. I did read somewhere on this forum that DVLA are not interested in body changes, which this effectively is.

Yes you will need to change the v5 if the chassis hasn't been altered in any way and you have enough points you should get away with a Vic and change the log book but keep the registration. If not then it's iva then Vic then log book change and a different registration.

Mike

With all of these things, the only people who can tell you definitively are the DVLA / VOSA, so you're best off speaking to them and asking what they want - asking the internet just results in a big bun fight with very little bearing on reality.

No, mine did not. Main problem is usually brake balance, but it is not hard to get right. Also, if you have rear seats, the iva is a lot more complicated than the commercial I'va, especially with external projections. I remember reading the sva book, and the difference between having rear seats or not equates to having 10 pages of rules and regs vs. 120 pages of rules. None of the rules are hard to comply with though, it is just all a bit involved. Daan

It's worth having a chat with VOSA to see if it's necessary. Shortening the body shouldn't be a problem, but shortening the chassis may well be! There are lots of opinions on line, but VOSA are the only people who actually know!

Si