Foggy brained

Nigelw

Just got home from a trip to see a man about some parts, namely a 300Tdi engine pretty much bare, no manifolds or turbo, no alternator, no starter, did still have the head on it though, just!!!!

Price was €600 :o Said thanks but no thanks and was about to head for the car and spotted a set of early Disco 2 head lamps, asked "how much for these?" replied with "€120 but will do them for €100 for you!!" couple of stone chips that might/might not turn into cracks and generally grubby and dirty, guess what I told him he could do with them!!!

And yes no one was forcing me to buy them and no I didn't buy anything but moral of this for me is, why the hell do so many people think S/H parts are worth gold? The engine I can buy for €650 shipped from the UK with all ancillaries manifolds turbo, alternator etc, and the head lights I can buy brand new shipped from the UK for €135.

Anyone else got any horror stories of people trying to rob them for S/H parts when for a few pound more you can have new?

Just got home from a trip to see a man about some parts, namely a 300Tdi engine pretty much bare, no manifolds or turbo, no alternator, no starter, did still have the head on it though, just!!!!

Price was €600 :o Said thanks but no thanks and was about to head for the car and spotted a set of early Disco 2 head lamps, asked "how much for these?" replied with "€120 but will do them for €100 for you!!" couple of stone chips that might/might not turn into cracks and generally grubby and dirty, guess what I told him he could do with them!!!

And yes no one was forcing me to buy them and no I didn't buy anything but moral of this for me is, why the hell do so many people think S/H parts are worth gold? The engine I can buy for €650 shipped from the UK with all ancillaries manifolds turbo, alternator etc, and the head lights I can buy brand new shipped from the UK for €135.

Anyone else got any horror stories of people trying to rob them for S/H parts when for a few pound more you can have new?

The clue is in the location: on the m

ainland, cars are exported to Poland Russia and so on which drives the price up. Here, because of the right hand drive, most cars stay on the island and cost penny's and so are parts. Anyway, top marks for sticking it out over there. Daan

This sort of thing runs rampant in my country.. Even with people selling brand new (britpart) parts. I saw the other day, a series door bottom for $300 nzd! How much are they on paddocks? Like £50?

And someone was trying to sell the very same paddocks swing away wheel carrier for $600NZD!

I was almost tempted to post the link to paddocks just to warn potential buyers off.

When I worked in Vienna I wanted to upgrade the intercooler on my 300Tdi. The local scrappies wanted €200+ for anything, regardless of size, condition or donor vehicle. I don't know why they were so reluctant to negotiate, because I saw stacks of them basically just rotting away. Needless to say, I didn't buy.

Mike

Simple answer - start importing the bits & selling them yourself. Or group together in your club / group etc. and combine the shipping etc.

The only reason people get away with that stuff is because they can, because no-one is challenging them. Sometimes there are good reasons (high import taxes, freight costs, paperwork), other times it's purely the fact that no-one else has bothered to do it.

Simple answer - start importing the bits & selling them yourself. Or group together in your club / group etc. and combine the shipping etc.

The only reason people get away with that stuff is because they can, because no-one is challenging them. Sometimes there are good reasons (high import taxes, freight costs, paperwork), other times it's purely the fact that no-one else has bothered to do it.

Already started my own little enterprise for beer tokens, Most of my bits go on the Belgian LR forum sales pages but also on the WWW.BE webbys too, I am going to increase my profit margin to 10% over the original 5% as everything I advertise is sold within 48hrs of listing :ph34r:

I have a new supplier in the Netherlands who does all my parts for me ZBTW(in cash without tax for you guys ^_^ ) and we have agreed I will buy the H/D winching and recovery bumpers from him and sell them privately and split profits 50/50, the H/D bumpers are €350 I will sell for €400 now that is still €200/€250 cheaper than any others available over here and still cheaper than shipping from the UK :ph34r:

Still shocked by the rip off merchants though :angry2: