Trailer Wiring

Morning playmates,

Just finishing the rear wiring of the Ibex and just need to provide the trailer connection now. The loom was sourced from 300Tdi's, Do I need to fit a control unit for the additional lights between the existing rear loom and the trailer loom? How does the trailer indicator warning light work?

Many thanks.

Rob

the socket for the trailer just connects to the relevant vehicle lights, the indicator unit might need changing to one suitable for use with trailers.

the trailer indicator light is driven by the indicator relay, like this one http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/81893/0/flasher_unit_heavy_duty_disco

Hella do a similar unit.

on the relay it says 21watt x 4 [left or right hand vehicle & trailer indicator lights] plus 1 x 5watt [the front wing indicator repeater light], the 2nd line says * x 21watt + 2 x 5watt [this is the max load when hazard lights are used.

connect the a length of trailer 7 core cable using the diagram below to the matching lights in your vehicle,

post-20-0-55814000-1377685132_thumb.gif

• 4 weeks later...

OK so I have not checked the relay out yet... but when my indicators are in use the trailer icon also flashes on the dashboard (with and without trailer fitted) it flashes continuously - my previous LR only had trailer icon flash once on the first flash of indicators (unless trailer was attached then it flashed with each flash)

It's not that importantant to me as I have an innate ability to tell when there is a trailer connected to the vehicle - I simply look in the rear view mirrors :-) my trailer also has lights facing forward so quite easy to tell if lights are hooked up, but...I have wondered why this Defender is the way it is and besides Rob started it

David

OK so I have not checked the relay out yet... but when my indicators are in use the trailer icon also flashes on the dashboard (with and without trailer fitted) it flashes continuously - my previous LR only had trailer icon flash once on the first flash of indicators (unless trailer was attached then it flashed with each flash)

It's not that importantant to me as I have an innate ability to tell when there is a trailer connected to the vehicle - I simply look in the rear view mirrors :-) my trailer also has lights facing forward so quite easy to tell if lights are hooked up, but...I have wondered why this Defender is the way it is and besides Rob started it

David

when NO trailer the trailer icon should light with the vehicle left or right indicator green arrow then go out.

when trailer is attached trailer icon should flash in unison with the vehicles left or right ind light

with trailer attached & when hazards are on the vehicles indicator arrows, hazard light switch or dash red triangle & trailer icon should flash,

try another flasher unit

cant help as me and electrics are worst enemies but be glad it flashes at all, very used to my 90 doing as it should with trailer on and when i have to tow with works ford ranger its no fun at all because there is nothing to tell you there is a trailer connected, so no lil trailer sign on indicators to let you know trailer electrics working. Freaks me out.

oh i guess my only helpful point is dont do what previous owner of my 90 did and scotchlock into rear light unit wires all over the place to make a trailer socket work, took me an age to take apart and heatshrink over where the scotchloks were to seal up, this despite all they needed was to plug in proper landrover socket into existing harness. bet it took longer to botch it in time value than just buy proper kit which has given no worries in 6 years or more.

Have you got added lights on the back? as in high level lights? My 300tdi does the same and as Ralph pointed out to me before I need to put a relay in between the main lights and high level to stop this

You could use an adjustable relay (intended for LED indicators) - you simply adjust the knob on the with indicator on until the speed is correct and the trailer light stops flashing. Might help in the OP's case too.

Matt