ratio swap?

hi i have a series 2 fitted with a 200tdi with standard gearbox and land cruiser 80 series axles with e lockers, i am interested in running a set of 38" tyres but will need to change the ring and pinion but will a R & P of 3:88 be correct?

thanks

hi i have a series 2 fitted with a 200tdi with standard gearbox and land cruiser 80 series axles with e lockers, i am interested in running a set of 38" tyres but will need to change the ring and pinion but will a R & P of 3:88 be correct?

thanks

No, you will need to fit lower ratio ring and pinions. 3.88 is higher. Good luck with keeping your standard gearbox together for long unless you go to something around 5:1 or lower.

yes i'm going to import them from the usa thats not a problem just wanted to know the best ratio to get i thought that 3.88 was available?

my buddy has a series with 200tdi and series 3 box with 35's and land cruiser axles and that is sweet just like ratio of defender, but i think he has land cruiser axles from a auto ??

yes i'm going to import them from the usa thats not a problem just wanted to know the best ratio to get i thought that 3.88 was available?

my buddy has a series with 200tdi and series 3 box with 35's and land cruiser axles and that is sweet just like ratio of defender, but i think he has land cruiser axles from a auto ??

What do you personally consider to be a reasonable service life between gearbox rebuilds? 20,000, 40,000, 150,000miles?

I am often scoffed at or ignored in my criticism of series gearboxes in modified vehicles, but it may just boil down to what owners in different countries are used to and what they deem acceptable. With many Toyotas and Nissans over here exceeding up to and over 400,000 miles on their transmissions, nothing short of 100,000 miles would be considered acceptable, yet it seems that many series owners in the UK in particular are happy to rebuild their boxes at around half that distance.

If your vehicle is a LWB, you would save yourself a lot of future pain if you just bit the bullet and fitted an R380/LT230 transmission.

I have no experience with later model rover stuff but to consider rebuilding a gearbox every yr LOL I would consider that a failed build idea

Anyway your standard diff ratios are 4.1 for 80 series stuff.... I have heard talk that the manual euro release came out with 3.7's just seems a little odd to me.... first off thats a 10% taller gearing, that is enough to take it out of the rev range second toyota have a proven 3.9 so why reinvent the wheel ??

I have no experience with later model rover stuff but to consider rebuilding a gearbox every yr LOL I would consider that a failed build idea

Anyway your standard diff ratios are 4.1 for 80 series stuff.... I have heard talk that the manual euro release came out with 3.7's just seems a little odd to me.... first off thats a 10% taller gearing, that is enough to take it out of the rev range second toyota have a proven 3.9 so why reinvent the wheel ??

AFAIK the 3.7 ratio was an option way back in the days of the FJ55 rust bucket station wagons. Without bothering to check, I think I have them in my LandCruiser axled, Patrol transmissioned Stage One V8, as it seems particularly long legged on the highway and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding in high range.

it seems that many series owners in the UK in particular are happy to rebuild their boxes at around half that distance.

Bill - it's a small country, Series are slow, uncomfortable and uneconomical so no-one really uses them for commuting, hence they are often just a 2nd vehicle / toy (as are most 4x4's used seriously off-road over here), I doubt many Series cover more than 10k a year, probably less than 5k, and are likely to change hands or get rebuilt more often than the gearbox wears out.

Mine may have pushed 10k a year a few times, but those years included an outing to Russia :D

Odd that aus/nz there is no difference in the diff ratio's between auto and manual both come out with 4.1's

LOL nothing wrong with the landy as a daily... last time I had one as a daily in the yr I had it I think it did almost 30k in that yr.... the only issue I had with her was an easy solve, I did get the odd laugh from people who saw my answer to the gearbox noise.... my work hard hat and muffs lol seriously

I'm on the verg of getting another series 2 as a new daily

Bill - it's a small country, Series are slow, uncomfortable and uneconomical so no-one really uses them for commuting, hence they are often just a 2nd vehicle / toy (as are most 4x4's used seriously off-road over here), I doubt many Series cover more than 10k a year, probably less than 5k, and are likely to change hands or get rebuilt more often than the gearbox wears out.

Mine may have pushed 10k a year a few times, but those years included an outing to Russia :D

Mine gets used daily, with a Tdi, and has done so ever since I owned it. It used to do 12k a year, but still does typically 7k or more and is driven at modern speeds. The gear box failed once since I rebuilt it, and I had suspicions that Bill seconded that it was a combination of the Tdi and too tall a ratio of overdrive and 3.54 diffs that broke a gear. It had run fine for years with everything except the raised diffs. I'm still running the 3.54s, but only use the OD as a fifth gear, never in anything other than 4th, to make sure that none of the gear sets are exposed tot hat torque resistance. I can't afford a later transmission retrofit at the moment, since I have the RR to rebuild, but an LT77S or short R380 would be a nice option.

I recovered a fair few L/crsrs, and others in OZ with 5th gear gone , it used to warn you in the LC drivers handbook, not to tow in 5th , but the spin they used "to retain better control of the load" ! They did bring in a better gearbox starting with the 100 series IIRC I even had customers ask should i be towing in 5th in the 130 ! . I think a lot of it was down to the oils not being able to handle the high temps .

think the highest number you'll get for those diffs are after market ones from the states 5.29:1 but they wont be cheap mind you if you can afford 38"s

In Australia, and presumably elsewhere, Earlier Toyota commercial vehicles, namely the Stout 1.5 tonners and single rear wheel Dyna had differentials that were the same pattern as LandCruisers but with a ratio of 6.1:1.Vague recollection there was a 5.8:1 as well. Won't fit the 80 series front end though, which is fitted with a smaller diff.

Didn't know that one, the dyna we have here (had one as a firewood truck) had a 8" diff and was a 3.9 ratio originally... I've noticed you guys get alot more options on utes and light trucks than the rest of the world.... I've got a 74 valiant ranger ute in my shed that was imported from aus, never released here... how about the the saffari ute, we only have em as SWB or LWB suv

Anyway back on topic, I think the 5.29 will be it as its easily available from trailgear and yukon etc for both the 8" high pinion and the 9.5" cruiser (80 series diffs) I remember some of them making a 5.7 but I don't think they do any longer as the pirate comments were pretty brutal about it failing