Insurance - Lancaster Insurance quote

ChrisJones117

After receiving a renewal quote for my '86' 200Tdi 110 of £220.00 for fully comp cover, £200 excess, max 10K per year, which I have happily paid, I got to thinking about my next purchase.

Thinking about acquiring one of the last 300Tdi's around a '97' plate Defender 130 Double Cab, with mild pimping of interior & exterior willing to pay ballpark about £ 15K as several companies have recently had similar on their books.

Asked for quote for said vehicle:.........................................

Quote came in at....

Dear Mr Jones,

Thank you for submitting your quotation form.
We have calculated a premium based on the information
which you have provided.
Premium: £1261.26
--------------------
This includes Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate,
Admin Fee and Legal Benefits Fee*

(* includes Insurance Premium Tax).

Vehicle: LAND ROVER 130 DEFENDER CREWCAB30 2495

And this was using my current details they have on file.

Damn that extra 17 inches sure makes it an expensive option roughly £61 pound an inch, that more than the metals worth to fabricate those extra inches.

Fellow forumeers if you currently possess a delectable 130 of similar age etc, if you be so kind. Could you indicate what you are currently paying rough figures only, am not that nosy that I want exact numbers.

Cheers

My renewal with Lancaster went from £430 110 csw to £815 for the disco (200tdi) I bought a month before the end of the policy and they had already charged £80 to swap with one month to go. The disco is worth 1/5 of the 110 needless to say I went back to Adrian flux at £450.

Mike

Comparing insurance figure is almost a nonsense as there are so many factors to be taken into consideration (drivers age, history, NCD, nominated drivers, annual mileage, address, vehicle parking location, modifications, club membership etc etc).

That said, one thing that does strike me as somewhat unusual is the difference between the two figures and I have to ask if the new quote was in addition to the existing vehicle or to replace it? The issue might be that any NCD you have would be on the existing policy and a new policy would start at zero hence the higher figure (though still very high even allowing for a full NCD if that was applied). If the new quote was as a replacement then I suspect there is something wrong.

I have been with Lancaster for nearly 10-years now, previously I had been with all the usuals and still check around before renewing but Lancaster always come in best for me (underwriter is ERS regardless of the broker).

I've been insured with Lancaster for the last 5 years and this year at renewal they said their underwriters criterias had changed and they were no longer able to provide me with insurance for the coming year. I'm 30, earned 5 years NCD on that policy, didn't make any claims. (10 years NCD on my other car's policy !) . Got a 110 hardtop 2.5td 19j with very little mods and 3k a year, was paying 400. Gone with heritage now, 240 fully comp for the same coverage... Just no consistency in between insurers or brokers in the way they calculate premiums or set their criterias !

As per Steve110 I had a 200tdi Disco on a classics policy with them and then when it came time to renew they couldn't offer me a renewal on the same terms.

As for the difference in price between your current motor and a 130 the reasoning may be that Defenders built before the introduction of the 300tdi are eligable for classics policy (depending on the insurer) and the body type doesn't affect it, I would guess you're on a classics policy as you say you're limited to 10k. Defenders of the 300tdi era and later are all classed as commercial except for the station wagons, therefore they've probably automatically quoted you for commercial van insurance.