Fitting Metalstik bushes

reb78

Just a quick one. When fitting new Metalastik bushes, do you grease them up first to aid fitting or is this not advised?

I was thinking of using a good smear of copper grease - any reason why not or comments on what I should use if anything?

Yep, I put a good smear of cooper grease to help them press in. They are normally a very tight fit anyway so there's no problem. It can also help to put the bushes in the freezer for a couple of hours first. Again it just makes it a bit easier to press them in.

I just used my vice. Certainly easier with one of those fly presses. Wish I had one, but nowhere to put it!

Yes the vice.

When I worked at Sunblest the foreman went out and bought a huge "cheap" vice. We used that vice for presing in the spring bushes on the BMC 550FG trucks.. All went well until one day fitting the spring bushes the cheap cast vice shattered into pieces....

Yes the vice.

When I worked at Sunblest the foreman went out and bought a huge "cheap" vice. We used that vice for presing in the spring bushes on the BMC 550FG trucks.. All went well until one day fitting the spring bushes the cheap cast vice shattered into pieces....

I have done in the past, but it struggled and it is a large vice too. I thought i was going to knacker the screw on it at one point, hence the purchase of the press.

Both good points, and I think if I was doing it on a regular basis I wouldn't risk wrecking my good Record vice. They, and the fly presses are only made from cast iron after all. It certainly does help having the bushes in the freezer for a few hours. If the bush can be lined up quick they do slide in quite nicely.

I eventually will probably buy either a 20T floor press or a nice big fly press.

Well, the fly press drove the bush in half way by just screwing it down. Once we knocked a couple of suitable spacers up, it had it in the rest of the way no problem.

Biggest issue is that the press was just being used on the floor so I had to drag it out of the garage and hold it still whilst we were pressing the bush in.

Do I see a folding axle stand there ?

I understand everything in the garage but the wellie

Yep, it is a folding one, but in my defence, it ony gets used as an extra when there are several tractor ones under the chassis already. It never really has any weight on it (certainly not alone).

The wellie was there to provide perspective for the size of the press (its a size 10 wellie). plus, I'm a farm vet, so they are an everyday part of my life!

Yep, it is a folding one, but in my defence, it ony gets used as an extra when there are several tractor ones under the chassis already. It never really has any weight on it (certainly not alone).

The wellie was there to provide perspective for the size of the press (its a size 10 wellie). plus, I'm a farm vet, so they are an everyday part of my life!

Folding axle stand. Aldi I presume ? Do you know where I can get two pairs ?

I dislike folding ones, as I had two fail on me, not very safe imho.

As all the weight is carried on the centre leg the collapsible parts are only out riggers I see no reason why they are a risk on lighter duties. the problem with them as with most are the height restriction for land rovers.

Just to add to the above: don't abuse a vice to press in bushes. That's why I had track down a decent Record vice on t'ebay, and they aint cheap.

Also the bit of vice that fell to the ground was f-heavy, even with my steel toe-capped boot!

As for fold-y axle stands, they might be TuV rated, but I prefer summat solid between me & a two-tonne invitation to meet my maker!

That said, most axle-stand related accidents are caused by user-error.