Brake Caliper and Ball Joints

Wes

Hi all. I have to replace one of the rear disc brake calipers on my 90. Looking at the various suppliers there is quite a differrence in price ranging from £40 to £140. I think you get what you pay for but has anyone used the cheaper versions?

Also can you still get ball joints with grease nipples. Thanks Wes.

To me, it all depends on how much you value your time. If you want a fix-first-time solution you know will be OK for the next decade, go for OEM parts [whether they come in a LR-branded box or a Girling/Lucas/Lockheed/Delphi-branded one].

If you can afford vehicle-off-road time the 'budget' suppliers can sometimes turn up trumps but always remember there's a reason they are cheap.

I cost my leisure-time at £30/hour. Messing about for a couple of hours on a 'second-fix' because I chose to save a few quid on a part makes no sense to me. Brake-parts specially so, because if they fail you can end up dead and can take a few other people/families out in the process.

I tend to agree with you Tanuki, in fact I have just ordered the OEM parts. As I said Ibelieve you get what you pay for. I was just interested to see what results anyone had had through using the cheaper option. I did buy some Lucas `type` points once and they disintergrated after about 10 miles.

For Calipers I now take old ones to my local Auto save and get Factory reconditioned ones back, usually by Delphi, they come in around £80 depending on the type. - that price is including a discount for giving them the old original.

Best of all worlds in my opinion. - I've not a good experiences with Britpart calipers.

Mav