Puma poor build quality

I had a reply from JCB:

=====================================================================

Dear Simon

Thanks very much for sending this through to us. It is certainly an interesting talking point!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Nigel Chell | PR Manager

=====================================================================

I read it as "We don't have a project at the moment, but it's interesting that there is public support for one. If enough people hassle me, I'll bring it up with the MD".

What could he say? Even if there was a project underway - he couldn't talk about it. I thought it was a good, polite response and they may consider it!

Si

Just read this on Wikipedia:

Anthony Bamford, chairman of British excavators manufacturer JCB, had expressed interest in purchasing Jaguar Cars in August, the year previously;[16] only to back out when told the sale would also involve Land Rover, which he did not wish to buy.

It sounds like Mr Bamford was well aware of LandRovers poor reputation for build quality, and wasn't prepared to have the reputation of his existing products tainted by association ! Wise man that Mr Bamford. As I alluded to earlier, whoever designs a replacement for Defender needs to start with a clean sheet of paper to completely distance their product from Land Rover.

Off topic just a tad, I think I saw it on a south African LandRover forum. Has anyone here seen the spoof photo of the crash test dummy hanging for dear life on to a bollard, while a technician tries to drag him into the new Defender waiting in the background?

I think the thread had the title 'Pure Gold.'

I took the response as.

Thanks for you letter, we think this a great idea and have put our designers straight to it. Will keep you updated.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

This was my original post and I never expected it to go in this direction. It shows me that lots of us care about what happens to our beloved Landies or about something worthy to take its place. We should live in hope - there are far too many people in this world who`s glass is half empty.

Barry

• 1 month later...

For me, a very sad postscript.

My bro in law has kept the landrover for a few weeks extra until his new lease Isuzu crew cab huntsman arrived ( which was late).

Yesterday at 28 K miles the gearbox in his Puma went bang. He never off-roads or tows!!!!

The AA arrived and shook their heads.

Landrover Assistance turned up and gave him a Freebie 2 until its fixed.

I know that I favour TDI`s and TD5`s and everybody has made the point,but isn't this truly shocking build quality??

Barry

For me, a very sad postscript.

My bro in law has kept the landrover for a few weeks extra until his new lease Isuzu crew cab huntsman arrived ( which was late).

Yesterday at 28 K miles the gearbox in his Puma went bang. He never off-roads or tows!!!!

The AA arrived and shook their heads.

Landrover Assistance turned up and gave him a Freebie 2 until its fixed.

I know that I favour TDI`s and TD5`s and everybody has made the point,but isn't this truly shocking build quality??

Barry

Sadly (speaking as an ex dealer for nearly 15 years) there has always been a far higher % of terminal major unit failures (engines, gearboxes, transfer boxes or diffs needing replacement) on Land Rovers. I guess the long term average is probably about 1 or 2% of vehicles have either an engine or gearbox go bang at some point in the warranty period, based on experience. For comparison in the same time selling a range of other vehicles (Ford, Suzuki, some Toyota, other odds and ends) I didn't see a single major unit replacement on a nearly new vehicle in all that time.