would swivel pins cause a slight steering wheel wobble?

sammyb

Right Ive got a bit of a judder at around 50ish MPH an i cant find the flipping cause of it :(

I've had the wheels balanced, ive had new drop arm, sumo bars and track rod ends/drag link ends and new UJ's and new wheel bearings but it still persisits :(

I'm running out of idea's now too! Would the swivel pins cause a judder??

Yup, check your wheel bearings and swivels, and 50mpg sounds like it could be a propshaft UJ gone, that can come back through the steering as well...

Ive had 4 new Uj's (2 on both props) ive tried for wheel bearing play but there isn't any :( Is ther a chance the prop could be out of balance?

Also as Aragorn pointed out to me just recently when I had a cornering vibration, it could also be worn stub axles.

So with very similar vibration, I replaced both front wheel bearings, stub axles and swivel pins, front prop shaft, and rear left wheel bearing and stub axle.

Findings

I found huge wear on the top raleco swivel pin on the drivers side front, the splines on the front prop shaft where worn, and the Passenger side rear wheel bearing was loose and the stub axle had been worn due to spinning bearings.

Rear wheel bearing was a funny one as there was only play in the 12-6 position - I put this down to the drum brake pads holding it relatively square in the 9-3 position.

I only noticed the last bit of vibration disappear when I had replaced the rear wheel bearing (which actually surprised me)... some food for thought.

Mav

p.s. the front end needed a rebuild anyway due to excessively leaking swivel ball seals (also a good sign at the health of your upper swivel bushes)

Done all the same; but I still have some vagueness on the highway, and on roads being resurfaced it just wanders everywhere randomly and the only thing left is the swivels, rather than preload etc I'm thinking the railko bushing mounts are just not well machined and things move with enough force. Tightening them does help; but puts the preload well above spec and you feel that too. I think it'll be a new set and ones with top bearings for me.

Yeah, I did all bushings even though they seemed good, a-frame balljoint, bearings, etc. What leads me to believe it is the front other than elimination is that toe really affects it dramatically. When toe is 0-5mm it tracks as usual until some road irregularity/wind/randomness causes movement, if toe is out it is utterly uncontrollable. To me this points to play in the front end somewhere it isn't visible; and not the panhard because it is different as I cross a speed bump at an oblique angle. That and last time I changed the top bushing on one side it was able to move slightly in the swivel housing... that last one is really the big one; and I'd think I could go after Britpart despite mileage/age but doing that from here is just not worthwhile so a new swivel with top bearings will go on at some point this fall.