MegaShift ZF Auto

gonewest

Hi I am bassed in New Zealand and am in the process of getting the parts together to convert my 19j diesel engined ninety into a 4.8V8 with ZF Auto box.

I am interested in using a mega shift ecu to control the changes. Has anyone used Mega shift in this way, have source codes and any other usefull information they are willing to share.

I see compushift has been successfully used but like the idea of mega shift as would prefer to put the money saved to other parts of the conversion.

Apologies if this has been addressed in other areas of this site but I have spent hours trawling the net looking for answers with very little luck.

Hi and welcome !

No, you will find very little on megashift, its very early days, and the main work done is on GM Boxes not ZFs....

However..

I have this as a major project in hand, I have a dedicated engine being built into a engine frame, running full MS SnE, and a ZF24 assembly and TBox

will be bolted to it, and I have a Megashift Kit wiring and Testing Stim to do the coding and programming.....

The "Plan" is to produce a Full Kit for the ZF24, but having started on it even knowing what I do I have massively underestimated the work required to get this from my current postion to a finish kit :rofl: ....

I can save you a lot of time by saying to the best of my knowledge there is little out there on megashift, its at the cutting edge of MS generally

but I think megashift would be a great unit on ZF24s, as they are cheap to buy and stronger than the earlier cable 22s....

Its watch this space, but it won't be finished this year for sure ! ......Just can't seem to find enough time to dedicate to this, and all the other projects bouncing about in my head / inventing shed,

but once I have the Thor engine conversion completed (which it very nearly is) being that THORs have ZF24s its a logical next project....

Happy to work with you, would make an interesting build thread !............

Nige

Hi Nige, As you, I have found so little on this subject but I am talking to a local guy here in NZ who is megasquirt agent and has good reports of work he has done and he like me is seaching for codes and data for the ZF so hopefully he knows or finds some one who knows the answers but I wont hold my breath.He has set up Mega shift on Holdens I think so has some good knowledge. If he gets anything usefull and is willing I shall post it here.

At the danger of steering this thread away from the prime question what are the benefits of mega squirting the 4.6V8 as i have been told only slight gains in power/economy available and as it has coil packs tucked at the back of engine already I dont see how it improves water proofing much which would be the primary need for it in my use or am I missing something obvious.

Hi Nige, As you, I have found so little on this subject but I am talking to a local guy here in NZ who is megasquirt agent and has good reports of work he has done and he like me is seaching for codes and data for the ZF so hopefully he knows or finds some one who knows the answers but I wont hold my breath.He has set up Mega shift on Holdens I think so has some good knowledge. If he gets anything usefull and is willing I shall post it here.

At the danger of steering this thread away from the prime question what are the benefits of mega squirting the 4.6V8 as i have been told only slight gains in power/economy available and as it has coil packs tucked at the back of engine already I dont see how it improves water proofing much which would be the primary need for it in my use or am I missing something obvious.

A Good question !

Waterproof wise, not much to be honest....

The main reaon to MS a 4.6 GEMS is to do away with the EFI / ECU system that needs hacking and quite significant work / costs to get working outside the donor vehicle.

However, with MS you can have more power as you can retune for the engine fuelling and spark etc, vs the GEMS which is set as factory, you CAN tune a GEMS Unit, but you will need someone who really knows there stuff in changing the ECU Chipset from a RAM to a EPROM Chop (several hundred £s to start with) and then reprogramme etc. Chances are that you won't be easily be able to access the ECU yourself, where as with MS you can, and have ability to both tune, and see the various sensors outputs settings and hence have diagnostics. The costs of getting a 4.6GEMS working properly out of the donor car is neither IMHO easy or cheap and once done you have a hacked into system prob running wrong fuelling / CATS and emmissions heavy vs power !

With MS you can retune for power ie no cats, and emmissions at what you wnat to set to, even twin maps as I have got, a "Power" map, and laughingly (I have a 5.2 Rover V8) a "Economy" :rofl: Map.

I could go on, but my anorak needs a breather :D

Hope the above helps, and ZF info to and from in here will be superb :!

Nige

Thanks Nige that is a useful sum up and may explain why the two guys I know who have done the conversion both feel the power gain by fitting a 4.6 was a little less than they expected. I was quoted $2100 to supply fit and Dyno set up Megasquirt so other tuning options like cam were looked at first but I can see if the engine electronic control isnt optomised it may be the way to consider.