235 85's - steel or alloy rims more suitable?

ronnie_rotten

The steel ones are probably stronger. Certainly not lacking at any rate.

The only thing with Disco 5 spoke steelies is the tuck the wheels inside the arches a long way. This means poor turning circle and more rubbing.

Is your Disco lifted or have you trimmed some bodywork? As 235's will foul parts.

Re the alloys. They should be equally fine. Although I don't know what the offset is on them. Some deeper dish steel wheels (modular or 8 spokes) would probably be the best bet all round.

Standard height at the moment, but that may change. I've had the front valance off already and I know I'll need to camel cut the rear arches.

So turning circle wise there probably wouldn't be much difference between the 2 available sets then? I like the look of wolf rims on a disco, but at the minute I don't really want to spend out too much if I can run with what I have.

I had to remove the front bumper corners on my 200 Series aswell in order to fit 31.10.50's on. The alloys may have a different ET, but I don't know as I've never owned any Disco alloys.

If you want max turning circle, then run the Disco steelies on the back and get a pair of deep dish front steel rims.

I got this......

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. 235/75/16

I also have alloy's but have not bought tyres yet but will fit 235/75/16 BF's Rouged Terrain.

I do the steelies when off roading, alloy's for the normal around the local driving.

I went for 235/85 on 16" LR Deepdish alloys, compare difference of new to old, incidently old were 235/75/15s though which are equivalent of 235/70 16.

833ab41f-b2ca-4d67-843b-154c39ebdbc9_zps

I was thinking the same at one point but came to the conclusion that it really didn't matter, only bar the steels are more tolerant of ham fisted attacks with tyre levers in the field.

They do make the originals look tiny by comparison, and they don't half fill the arches!!!

I am staying with new standard ride height springs but with +1" spacers, not looking to go for too much lift, the tyres give it a lot already, anymore and I'd want to fit side steps just to get in :o only thing I have found so far is that I have seriously reduced my steering lock with the LR rims against the wide off-set compomotives she was wearing but if I were to fit spacers to take them out again I would be bashing the wing edges with the tyres, so not an option, just have to see what camel cutting the rear of the back arches gives and then add some extended bump stops to stop the inner wings and wheel boxes getting walloped too hard I think.

Not surprised with them being HD springs Al :rolleyes: might go medium duty as like a supple ride.

I tested the tyre fit in the arches with a little articulation to see if it was necessary or not and found this..... slight lump.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/rusty05-09-13013_zps9e779cff.jpg.html'>rusty05-09-13013_zps9e779cff.jpg

Put the rear tyre up here.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/rusty05-09-13005_zps80ae4d54.jpg.html'>rusty05-09-13005_zps80ae4d54.jpg

Think it needs a little lift and a trim :rolleyes:

Yep. A trim if nothing else...

As anyone seen a guide or pictures and measurements of how to get a tidy cameo cut? I know its nothing too technical, but it would be nice to fold the panel round or something to get as good a finish ad possible. If seen some really badly hacked off bits and would rather go at it with some advice...

I'd just trim the arches a bit. In fact that's exactly what I did.

stock ride height & suspension and 31.10.50R15 BFG A/T's, not the missing bumper corners on the front. They fouled the tyres if you turned the wheel about a 1/4 or turn.

DSC_0391Large.jpg

DSC_0394Large.jpg

Exactly the same setup as above, just now with trimmed arches and aftermarket flares.

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/300bhpton/media/My%20Cars/Discovery/DSC_2734Large.jpg.html'>DSC_2734Large.jpg

Again, same stock suspension but now 33.11.50R15 Simex Jungle Trekker II's (measure around 34" tall). No rubbing at all, although I did have to trim a little off the front flares.

CopyofDSC_0548Large.jpg

CopyofDSC_0547Large.jpg

Running the same JT2s and a 2" lift, extended poly bumpstops I have found that the tyre comes in contact with the inner arch near where the battery sits, this has resulted in two bent inner wings..... Don't know how long you have had them fitted, but be worth exploring the issues, as it wasn't present in articulation, but was during full front end compression, like when you hit a speed hump.

This is on an RRC, but is essentially the same.

Should have posted some on 235/85R16's as that's what the op was asking about.

I've only run this size with the trimmed arches, but still stock suspension. Never had any rubbing or issues.

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/300bhpton/media/My%20Cars/Discovery/6x4-DSC002354.jpg.html'>6x4-DSC002354.jpg

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/300bhpton/media/Land%20Rover/Land%20Rover%20Events/ALRC%20Nationals%202009%20-%20Manby/4448b5e2.jpg.html'>4448b5e2.jpg

Running the same JT2s and a 2" lift, extended poly bumpstops I have found that the tyre comes in contact with the inner arch near where the battery sits, this has resulted in two bent inner wings..... Don't know how long you have had them fitted, but be worth exploring the issues, as it wasn't present in articulation, but was during full front end compression, like when you hit a speed hump.

This is on an RRC, but is essentially the same.

I was looking at those "progressive" bump stops in one of dirtydiesels threads in the modified builds shed, not sure how they'd stack up height wise against extended stops? Might have to get me a set to try.

I personally still have the front inner wings to re-build so may modify them to suit before I hit full compression, is it the same at the back of the arches too where the brake servo etc, sits?

Ah just re-read your post, I am on 33/10.5R16 JT2s, on offset modulars, they do measure about 34" as well though.

I ran 235/85R16 on modulars before this, and yes, rear arch trimming, bumper end caps and lock stops were all tweaked.

There's a pic of the tyre fitment on mine here, with no spring in, guess the extended bump stops compressed a bit.... :

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23250&p=635604

The progressive bump stops wouldn't hurt I am sure, but not sure where they stand in comparison, but any extension is going to affect the articulation quite a bit....