exhaust for 300 TDI in 109" series II

seriebil.dk

Hi

I'm in the vapour build or preplaning of my 109" STW rebuild, which will include a 300(T)DI conversion, this will need to release its exhaust some how and i'm wondering which system to go for, keeping the complete build as standard/simple as possible, using standard parts where ever possible. i recon it will need to be of a larger diameter than the standard 2,25 exhaust, so thats ruled out from the start.

so does any one know or have they tried using some of these solution? please give me your pros, cons and needed mods, thanks

6 cyl petrol exhaust system all the way - I'm not liking the idea of it hanging on the out side of the chassis, i think i'll mess it up first time off-roading.....

Stage I V8 exhaust system all the way, except the front pipe ? - a more snug fit in my eyes, but front pipe needs making, maybe combined with a XXX front pipe :huh:

300 TDI exhaust system all the way - this was not designed for this chassis or leafs but maybe fits?

200 TDI exhaust system all the way - this was not designed for this chassis or leafs but maybe fits?

any other ideas ?

this is the 109" in for the transplant...

post-8755-0-96125200-1381147755_thumb.jpg

Putting together a "bitsa" exhaust-system is always a pain - to avoid frustration I'd suggest you have a custom system made up - preferably in stainless-steel.

Here in the UK there are a number of national franchised companies that will do this for you - you trailer your car to them and they make up a system to fit your particular vehicle - so if you've got a non-standard engine position, need space for an overdrive where there would usually be a silencer, or want the exhaust to exit on a particular side they bend the pipes to match.

http://www.longlife.co.uk/ is my local one.

A friend of mine has fitted a 200Tdi into a 109" but with a 300 manifold set to sort the turbo/chassis foul issue, he used a 110" 300Tdi exhaust and every part had to be chopped and tweaked to make it fit. This will be a pain when replacement bits are needed as nothing off the shelf will fit. So the answer to the Tdi exhaust in a 109" is it does not fit.

The Steve Parker 200Tdi/turbo D into a 109" exhaust has a custom front pipe and intermediate pipe but a Stg 1 V8 silencer/tailpipe.

I know custom silencers can be found, but they are expensive and cost a lot in freight to Denmark, standard parts is way cheaper and be sourced here locally.

Now that is good Info about the rear part of the V8 exhaust, i was thinking V8 as far to the front as possible and then a adjusted front pipe from a TDI

Pics from under your Cars are welcome.

You're right that the Series exhaust will be no good. A 2/300DI will need a 2" bore pipe and a full Tdi a 2.5" bore. The muffler boxes also need the be different as the Series units will strangle the turbo.

I had dreadful problems with the Steve Parker exhausts (one of each size, having had a 2.5 nad and then a Tdi) - either fit because they got the bends all wrong on the down pipe. The abuse I got when I complained was incredible, and the excuses laughable. I whole heartedly recommend you take your money elsewhere.

Well i' m not that keen on welding up an exhaust, so from what i found out, V8 from rear as far front as to were it splits in Two, then mod up a front pipe from a 300tdi to fit. Should be easy and cheap i think.

Watch out for the build tread, collecting the 109 on sunday, plan is to have it running and new MOT in spring and then do a running Project/rebuild on it until it needs a new chassis for it next MOT. Danish Cars over 35 years have a 8 year periode between MOTs so gives lots of time for jobs needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuko

What is the noise level at say 50MPH in your motor?

I have a 200DI fitted but with the original exhaust engine pulls well but even with a fair bit of soundproofing get a 94db reading using an APP on my I phone.

Curious to know if fitting larger exhaust will help to reduce my noise level to a better level.

Doug

To be honest Doug I have no idea about the noise level readings. I have to see if I have an app and try to get some figures for you. But with that said, she was loud with no insulation to be seen any wheres. This past summer I install 4 square meters of "Silent Coat" which has made a huge difference. The constant droning is still there but at a much lower level. Therefore I still use ear plugs for long trips.

The 2" exhaust is quieter than the 2½" I originally had when it exited out the rear. Now that I have it exiting from the side, high up in the rear quarter panel she's a bit louder on the drivers side. Going up to a larger diameter exhaust is not going to make the noise levels lower. ( my experience and opinion )

Todd.

I just thought I'd lend my two pence worth.

I did a 200TDi conversion into a SIII 109" Station Wagon. To do this properly and without chopping the LWB chassis to fit the turbo you have to fit a 300TDI manifold to the engine which is easy enough.

I can't weld (or couldnt at the time) so bodging pipe together wasn't an option, I decided to go for the Steve Parker version. To be honest I didn't expect it to fit without some tweaking and sure enough it did - but you have to bear in mind the changes made to the 109" chassis throughout it's production run, so I didn't. Genereally the fit was quite good, though it did take a differant path underneath and consequently needed some mounts welding on!

I totally concur with Snagger though - steve parker's are NOT a good company to deal with. The tweak I speak of involved me having to send a part back to them to re-jig it. And they charged ME for the privilege.

In summary, I WON'T be dealing with them again, unless I do another conversion - the pipe did the trick and was certainly more convenient..

Unless you can weld well, I wouldn't bother trying to cobble one together...

Hej jerboa

Thanks, Well it is a 300 TDI conversion i'm doing, so hoping this solves that part, for the exhaust, i have come to the conclusion that with turbo Fitted it needs to be 2,5 -3" pipe sizes. so with help from friends, i'm making a custom exhaust from scratch out of "stainless" left over exhaust parts

I can weld, but not stainless.