Does it have to be steel plate?

Nigelw

Been contemplating this the last few days as I am ever closer to actually having the first of the two inner wings rebuilt and refitted, but can anyone enlighten me as to why it couldn't be made in GRP or fiber glass around a steel rod frame?

I was thinking about weight saving too but also the other implication that it won't rot away to nothing.

Or should I put the bottle back on the shelf? :ph34r:

You could but your problems would start with the joint between grp and metal because there is no approved way of joining them. Also the front has body mounts whilst the grp is more than strong enough to cope with the structural forces you will struggle to find someone willing to sign it off let alone understand it. I have had an MOT inspector looking for rust in a grp monocoque sports car so in short you could do it but I doubt you would get it past the powers that be.

Mike

On a Defender the front inner wings have no structural function at all, and on post 2009 vehicles are moulded plastic anyway. There's no reason not to make them completely from GRP (forget the steel frame) except that if you can buy a pair of plastic ones it will save you all the hassle.

On a Defender the front inner wings have no structural function at all, and on post 2009 vehicles are moulded plastic anyway.

Now that's what I thought... got distracted looking for them so forgot to mention.

GRP is a lot less forgiving than the plastic that LR will make them from.

More info here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=59192

Cheers,

Mike

On a Defender the front inner wings have no structural function at all, and on post 2009 vehicles are moulded plastic anyway. There's no reason not to make them completely from GRP (forget the steel frame) except that if you can buy a pair of plastic ones it will save you all the hassle.

Sorry Nick, should have mentioned it was for a Discovery and not a Defender.

I have been wondering this all evening and wonder if the GRP could be cut to shape as per say a set of inner wings from YRM and then "glued/bonded" together to make an inner wing, light box and slam panel, yes I know this is a body mount but as I have seen on my own truck that the inner wings are nothing more than window dressing as there is not a lot of real strength in them and seeing how easily they buckle I see absolutely no reason not to have then in GRP or fiber glass.

"Glued" or "bonded" grp is no where near as strong as a moulded section. I knew you had a disco that is why I gave the reply I did.

Mike

I know you knew Mike ;)

Question is, as you are the man for GRP(there is a strong rumor :lol: ) is it possible to mould the front end from the bulkhead forward? What would it consist of? 3 pieces I assume inner arches both sides and integrated light boxes and slam panel?

I'd be a little nervous about using anything other than steel, due to the location of the fwd body mounts. On the Camel there have been some rather "interesting" effects of rotten sill mounts and an the consequence of a heavy roof rack and roll cage resting on the rest of the body mounts, there are some again "interesting" waves in the inner wing flat panels showing how the stresses have moved through the front sections of the truck. I think you may loose some of the structural rigidity if the inner wings where non structural...

So in short, I think you could come up with a nice looking tubular equivalent, with then grp type to panel it all up, but I wouldn't consider anything other than that... there needs to be some kinda of strength rigidity kept in the structure...

I'd suggest you wouldn't actually save any weight by the time you've finished? The inner wings aren't actually all that heavy.

So long as the bulkhead mounts are ok, there isnt a lot of structural strength in the inner wings, not the mudguard section anyway, but there is a sturdy box section hidden under the wing.

The front body mounts take care of the weight if the front panel etc.

However what is important is the rigidity of the whole body forward of the bulkhead- any weakness can make the panels flex a lot, and unless you use bonnet clamps, it can easily fly open if you go over a bump. You need to think about the battery compartment as well, takes a lot of strain.