Condensation

Hi guys

My 90 was leaking but carefull application of a tiny bit of silicon (read copious amounts) has stopped that problem, however there is still water on the inside that condenses and covers the roof in the load area, what's the best way to dry the inside out?

Cheers

Even if it's not leaking, the air temp difference and the cold metal roof will cause condensation...

The best way is to line the roof somehow - I used laminate floor underlay (1mm thick plastic closed cell foam type stuff) with spray adhesive, it helped a lot... But make sure you use high temp adhesive or it'll all fall off in the summer!

Hi guys

My 90 was leaking but carefull application of a tiny bit of silicon (read copious amounts) has stopped that problem, however there is still water on the inside that condenses and covers the roof in the load area, what's the best way to dry the inside out?

Cheers

very impressed that you have stopped the leaks. Has anybody tried Sugru ??? Just bought some anyway but interested in feedback.

Barry

Thanks guys, I know that the temp difference will cause condensation but there is still a lot of residual water from the leaks that is adding to the condensation.

What's the best way to get rid of this?

Cheers

I've had this problem a few times, what I do is towel off as much water as I can and then drive with the V8 blasting (gently blowing) hot air in the vehicle! I also bought on of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenko-77780100-Damp-Killer-Anthracite/dp/B0030GB32K/ref=sr_1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1383336018&sr=1-19&keywords=dehumidifier+car

Surprising how much water it absorbs, it almost doubles in weight!

One day I'll get round to applying the camping mats I got from the pound shop....

There's truly no such thing as a non-leaky Defender. Thankfully, Land-Rover never got any UK military contracts to build ships/submarines.

Even after you've sealed all the obvious leaks it can take some time [months!] for the historically absorbed dampness to migrate out of the seats/floor-mats/foam dash-coverings/door-cards etc.

You can accelerate this by sticking a small fan-heater [1Kw or so] and a dehumidifier in the cab and leaving them running overnight once a week..

Even so, the humidity you exhale/perspire during daily driving and which remains inside when you park up will condense overnight on the roof/windows if there's any kind of frost outside.

This is one of the great things about air-conditioning: it dehumidifies the incoming air and so helps prevent the buildup of trapped moisture.

The last time I had any form of condensation was during the time without a headlining In my 110, Since I've had a headlining/roof lining in my 90, I've not suffered with any form of condensation

John

Good thanks Gaz.

Thank you for the link too. What's that like for noise ? Did you use something like trimfix to stick it on ?

:)

Yes mate, Dunlop trim spray...dead easy to do apart from the headache from the fumes Ha Ha!

And like Jbs says, I got a second hand headlining and retrimmed it, that plus the insulation did reduce noise some!

Biggest difference I can see is, it is not stinking hot in the summer and in winter, mine is easy to scrape the ice off when everyone else's car

in the works car park is frozen up!....