DIY Improvement Projects Thread

Josh NZ

Nah,

Your from Aus you must have added a roo bar?

Marc

Roo bars could almost be considered standard here in OZ. Oh but how could I forget ? I also replaced the individual wiper motor assemblies with the later cable driven type, and 110 military ally door tops. lowered the roof lid 2 3/4" and fitted larger sliding type windows to the roof sides. Similar to Daan, I have also sunk the rear floor in 2 sections for a tool locker,and to provide some legroom for the rear passenger on the single forward facing rear seat. I s'pose the 6 point internal roll cage should be mentioned, and slimline high back bucket seats out of something Japanese.

post-13725-0-21846700-1384779257_thumb.png

overdrive is a must as is 3.54 differentials if you want to do any real mileage (of which i cover over 10,000 a year in mine).

Confused as my V8 has 3.54s and it is fine! did you mean 4.7s?

I am building my disc axles at the same track also, at first id forgot that the disc hub will be narrower than a drum hub due to the thickness of the drum!

Soren,
I love the look of those wheels in std? arches, do they clear ok on articulation?

yes i did mean the 3.54 Diffs, with my TDi , fairey overdrive, coiler diffs and 235/80R16's it sits at ~2300rpm at 70mph

post-13725-0-21846700-1384779257_thumb.png

theoretical top speed of 135ish...

would never do that in real life as youll run out of torque at maybe 110

ideal for my many many road miles, in the torque band from 55-85 in top overdrive which is ideal for me especially for towing at 60.

its not too high geared off road either for me

Hmm, I find 3.54 diffs overgeared, needing the Tdi to be revved up before pulling away in 1st and having lethargic acceleration in 4th. 4.1 diffs would be best. Overdrive becomes just a cruising gear for above 50 mph. I did drop the low range gears to compensate, though, so off road ability isn't as badly compromised as town driving.

Anyway, I found that rear wash wipe, originally from scrapped cars but later replaced with LR parts, heated seats and heater screens and wing mirror are a big plus in winter weather, and Defender seats are much comfier while fitting straight in and retaining the lift out bases. Reverse lights and halogen head lights with relays are a big improvement too.

are you running standard tune? im definately not! :ph34r:

i feel mine is fine even when towing loaded to the gullets(?)

yeah on a steep incline set off i have to use low box then jump to high, but i dont see that a problem.

i do agree however that a slight reduction in final drive would be nice, it doesent bother me at all. if offered for cheap, i probably would move to some 4.11's but like i say mine seems to cope. probably helps that i rebuilt the TDi last year too

Fully rebuilt Tdi on standard tune - I wouldn't increase its torque while using a standard transmission. My 109 is relatively heavy for an empty vehicle, and the accessories add a hell of a lot of drag, but I haven't tried driving it fully laden or with a load on the rack or with the trailer since fitting the later axles. I don't think it would be much fun.

Something I was discussing with Gremlin when we met up in Malta was such gear ratios. While the standard Series transmission and 4.71s are under-geared in most of the UK behind an uprated engine, they'd be ideal in Malta. He seemed quite content with the gearing in is 109 too, which has SIII axles with their 4.71 diffs and the Defender transmission, which has a 1.4 transfer box rather than the 1.15 of the Series unit and 5th gear lower than 4th with overdrive. It all depends on your use and local environment.

Ahh Malta, a nice place.

The GF's dad lives out in Gozo, so i am familiar with the terrain and size of the islands etc.

it is a case of preference. i personally do a lot of motorway miles, and long distance journeys, so less RPM at speed (to a certain extent) is better for me.

i have only ever had one problem with the gearbox where i deem it to be the engine torque as the primary cause. the layshaft lost a few teeth on third gear.

i do however believe that this was caused by non mechanical sympathy. i let my friend drive and he was snatch changing seeing how fast it would go and before i could tell him thats not the way to do it wiht a series box, in fact it doesent make it go any faster anyway...

but hey ho. the only other gearbox rebuild was because the layshaft bearings started grumbling, which at 90,000+ miles on the clock and when i rescued it the box did have some nasty fluid in it. i deemed that general wear and tear.

yes i did mean the 3.54 Diffs, with my TDi , fairey overdrive, coiler diffs and 235/80R16's it sits at ~2300rpm at 70mph

theoretical top speed of 135ish...

would never do that in real life as youll run out of torque at maybe 110

Hi,

Sorry reread your post and realised that I had completely misread it the first time.

Marc.