DIY Improvement Projects Thread

Josh NZ

Firstly, apologies if this has done to death. I have been scanning the forum and couldn't really find a lot of ideas on this particular topic in one thread so to speak, so I thought It would be cool to see everyone's ideas in one place.

Anyway, I digress. ^_^

As I spend another restless but boring evening sitting at home while the Stage 1 Is at the garage (amazing how much spare time you realise you have when the LR isn't home :blink:) , I find myself thinking about what sort of DIY project style improvements everyone made/wanted to make on their beloved Series Landies, and some pics of such designs.

I'm not talking about fitting parabolics or huge tyres etc, but more talking about such projects as Adam001's expedition defender roof console setup, and Steve200tdi's new dash addition and Discomikey's rear load bay hard cover. I enjoyed reading about those projects as I for one am a huge fan of additions that improve the practicality of what you use your LR for!

I for one am building a drawer storage system for the load bay of my Stage 1 V8 for when I go camping (I will be sleeping in the truck).

It consists of a drawer that runs the whole length of the space between the wheel boxes. It is halved, and a hinged lid which is sectionalised to be able to access both ends of the drawers while inside the truck, as well as creating a false floor section to bridge the gap between the wheel boxes for me to put a mattress on top of. It will be built out of ordinary timber and ply, which will be trimmed out in matching marine carpet to tie it in nicely with the rest of the interior. I hope to add some pics when the truck returns so I can begin to construct the system.

So, what other ideas are out there? LR owners are a resourceful lot, and i'm hoping to see some great designs (and pics! :P) for the benefits of others who may want to undertake some projects such as these!

Josh

This should become an interesting topic!

I have a couple of ideas for my 109. A fair few actually. I like it to be an automatic for starters. But i also like to make some changes to the interior, mind though its all still in my head.

I'd like to redo the dash, using polystyreen to make a mold for a fibreglass dash, covered with foam and vinyl or similar, that placee my gauges in front of me and has room underneath for aftermarket aircon/heater.

Another thing thats making my head hurt is trying to figure out if i can fabricate some front doors from scrstch that have frameless electric windows. That gets rid of the crappy doortops and the faff of having to take them off whenever i take the soft top off.

I would also like to redo the tranny tunnel and floorboards, including getting rid of the seatbox, and create a different way of securing more comfy seats. Another idea is to deepen the footwells by 4 or 5 inches to create more legroom.

I would also like to replicate a roof and made from scratch sidepanels out of fibreglass for the wintermonths. Should be a lot lighter than the original ones.

Will be a ton if work but my idea behind it is to create a comfy DD, weekend warrior and travel vehicle for all weather conditions. Now its a leaky draft heaterless uncomfy rattly noisy old beast. Why i dont buy something newer? Because i like doing this sort of stuff and roadtax for a newer heavy 4wd is unaffordable. Lots of ideas at the moment anyway :).

For seatbox removal OrgasmicFarmer did a good job in his 110, might be worth a look.

A couple of pictures here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79061entry677149

Nice, thanks, will have a look

I moved the pedal box forward 40 mm for more legroom, and the rear bulkhead backwards for the same reason. I sit ok with the roof lowered 60 mm, so it fits in the garage. I measure 6ft 7 myself.

Daan

How did you lower the roof? Did you just move the pedal box forward or modified the entire footwell?

Check the roofline above the rear door, thats the only obvious place you will see it:

P4210228comp.jpg

It started as a 90 flatroof, shortened at the front, so the slope is further forward, clearing your head. I removed the gutter, cut the roof at the bottom, folded a flange higher up and riveted the gutter back on. Remove all internal ribs and put strength back in using the rollcage.

I just folded complete new pedal boxes (the old ones were toast) with an extra horizontal flange at the back, 40 mm long, so the whole thing moved forward 40mm.

Daan

I would say:

Soundproofing (Sticking insulation onto every surface)

Interior light (Ex mil soft tops dont seem to have these as standard)

Overdrive (or higher gearing in general but overdrive was quite simple)

Windscreen demist upgrade (bilge blower)

Brighter Headlights

Led side/tail/brake lights (got given them and theyre great but I'm still not sure if theyre too bling for a series...)

Second battery/split charge/Eberspacher (so its warm when I get in :) )

Defender seats

Smaller steering wheel (for knee clearance and added workout)

Blade fuse box

Radio

My list of wants is even longer but the above seem like pretty simple DIY stuff that will make life better easily

I threw all the series yellow knob gear out of the transfer box nose and fitted a second lever next to the high-low on the same pivot. I can back slowly into the garage without fighting the steering wheel in 4x4 :)

Hard part was the indent on the rod using gearbox ball/spring/plate and the rods/levers to change the direction of the lever (forward on both is 2wd high).

Heated mirrors on an S1 with S3 door mounted mirrors is always a classic, but not really the classical look?

The eberspacer heater is a really good one. If it still works? It's a fair age......(must be 20 year old now?)

I fitted parabolics and big tyres... oh :blush:

Um, what else... I guess it depends what you mean by DIY project...

• 4.6 V8
  • 5-Speed box
  • LT230 with RWD conversion
  • RR/Disco gearbox x-member
  • Disco 2 PAS
  • Volvo portals
  • Disc brakes
  • 110 Servo
  • Twin speed electric fans
  • Megasquirt'n'EDIS
  • Defender seat box & seats
  • Rear seat-box with defender front seats, under-seat storage
  • Fibreglass transmission tunnel
  • Long-travel (14") shocks
  • Eberspacher D2 heater
  • Front & rear winch trays (winch still waiting to be fitted...)
  • X-brake
  • Raised, enlarged, additional breathers
  • Snorkel made from single bit of stainless pipe
  • Defender 200TDi air filter
  • Anti-wrap bars for the axles
  • Split charge
  • Crystal headlamps
  • Full rewire
  • Custom fuel tank (because of winch tray)
  • Side-exit exhaust
  • Stainless braided flexi pipes for brakes/clutch
  • DIY Respray :ph34r:
  • Heated screen
  • ARP Head studs
  • Exhaust manifold studs
  • Roll cage
  • Gon2Far front spring mounts
  • Dash-mounted beer bottle opener
  • LED worklights as interior lights
  • Acewell digital speedo/dash

Still not finished the dashboard though... and the H14 has been sat on the workshop floor for 6 bl**dy years now!

Agreed- DIY is Definitely a relative term. It's good to see people chucking up some ideas though. And it gives people insight to how easy/difficult they may be dependant on skill/confindence.

Anyone has photos of their build ups etc would be cool to see how it was done. I will put mine up when the truck returns.

I made disk brake conversions front and rear

A disk handbrake conversion

Power steering conversion

Made my own adaptor to couple and LT77 to a series transfer box

Etc.......those are just some of the more interesting ones.....

Jon

As above,

V8

Power Steering

building Disc axles now

Building Megajolt but may go to MegaSquirt if the discs will apease the Insurance company.

Roll cage next year and seatbelts.

Pair of Recaros to fitt

X-brake fitted.

I fitted parabolics and big tyres... oh :blush:

Um, what else... I guess it depends what you mean by DIY project...

• 4.6 V8
  • 5-Speed box
  • LT230 with RWD conversion
  • RR/Disco gearbox x-member
  • Disco 2 PAS
  • Volvo portals
  • Disc brakes
  • 110 Servo
  • Twin speed electric fans
  • Megasquirt'n'EDIS
  • Defender seat box & seats
  • Rear seat-box with defender front seats, under-seat storage
  • Fibreglass transmission tunnel
  • Long-travel (14") shocks
  • Eberspacher D2 heater
  • Front & rear winch trays (winch still waiting to be fitted...)
  • X-brake
  • Raised, enlarged, additional breathers
  • Snorkel made from single bit of stainless pipe
  • Defender 200TDi air filter
  • Anti-wrap bars for the axles
  • Split charge
  • Crystal headlamps
  • Full rewire
  • Custom fuel tank (because of winch tray)
  • Side-exit exhaust
  • Stainless braided flexi pipes for brakes/clutch
  • DIY Respray :ph34r:
  • Heated screen
  • ARP Head studs
  • Exhaust manifold studs
  • Roll cage
  • Gon2Far front spring mounts
  • Dash-mounted beer bottle opener
  • LED worklights as interior lights
  • Acewell digital speedo/dash

Still not finished the dashboard though... and the H14 has been sat on the workshop floor for 6 bl**dy years now!

Do you actually have any series vehicle left?? :ph34r:

Thought I'd give my contribution to this thread.

My Series One is actually quite modified nowadays, yet still on stock suspension, chassis and body. These are the things that 'defines' it as a Series One IMO so that's what I choose not to mess too much with.

I don't wan't to go into depth on the offroad upgrades I made, you can check them out in my build thread in the members vehicle forum.

What I do want to contribute with is my rear mounted crane!

I have so much joy from this thing, even though it was only made in a hurry because I only needed it once (or so I thought)

I had made an engine stand out of the base of an engine crane when I had to recondition an engine for my Unimog, and had just put the rest in the scrap pile..

Then one day I really needed an engine crane that could go through the gravel that surrounds my house. So what to do? Well I collected the bits from the scrap pile and grabbed the welder. And hey presto I now have a crane that can go anywhere!

post-9137-0-78465000-1384518274_thumb.jpg

Some time later with a Warn Works 4700 winch mounted in the back it has become even more versatile, so my father used it to lay the foundation blocks for his Garage add-on, perfectly sized on the 80" there was just room for it :D

post-9137-0-72917600-1384518457_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the load cover compliment, alas it is not perfect and still lets the weather in but one day ill get round to making MKII

I have put disk brakes on the front of mine whilst keeping the original track width which i am very happy with the results,

overdrive is a must as is 3.54 differentials if you want to do any real mileage (of which i cover over 10,000 a year in mine).

im currently planning on refurbishing and galvanising my bulkhead, and fitting a brand new loom + auxiliary loom (+ jump posts) to keep everything neat and safe.

AND, Just fitted an ashcrofts ATB :)

overdrive is a must as is 3.54 differentials if you want to do any real mileage (of which i cover over 10,000 a year in mine).

Confused as my V8 has 3.54s and it is fine! did you mean 4.7s?

I am building my disc axles at the same track also, at first id forgot that the disc hub will be narrower than a drum hub due to the thickness of the drum!

Soren,

I love the look of those wheels in std? arches, do they clear ok on articulation?

sounds like a good portion of these mods are what I'm planing on doing to the next one .... Sll 109 tow/camper wagon DD

Nissan TD27 Ti from a Terrano ll with auto

range rover rear axle from my toy truck (shaved n braced)

Disk brake front end on series axle

Power steering

extra door on passanger side

New front seats from a holden callia

sound proofing

carpet and insulation

New dash and console

extra fuel tank

draws and fold out bed

water tank

electric windows

etc