Fuel pre-heater

Nigelw

In an effort to try to get everything working I am now tackling the electrical stuff that is under the bonnet, I say stuff as some of this is additional add on's and not fitted by me so therefore I don't know if it works or whether it is wired up correctly (a lot of previous repairs and work done on this truck is of questionable standard).

This is a pic of the filter housing and the wires to the fuel pre-heater.

Rusty050913001_zpscf92949a.jpg

I am not really interested on how it is wired up currently but how it "should" be wired up. Should it work in common with the glow plug relay? Should it have a timer relay of it's own? What should be the trigger for it?

Any ideas, the net just yields new ones for sale and no instructions on how it should be wired in.

I would expect an electric fuel heater to be on if the engine was running, not with the glow-plugs. 20 seconds with the glow-plugs won't do you much good, what happens when ice cold fuel from the tank comes through? It appears to have a temp switch in a spare port, so I'd say it switches itself on and off, and just needs to be fed power continuously while the engine is running.

^^^ sounds fair to me.

If it was really cold I guess a mains powered fuel tank heater is part of the package along with sump and water heaters?

I think I've seen a system somewhere that plumbs the car's coolant circuit - or most likely a heater exchanger to the coolant circuit - into a household central heating system. It'd be great in my 88"...by the time I got to work it'd be back down to freezing point.......

Whats the purpose of the fuel heater? I've heard of them on the Td5's (or is that fuel cooler...) although not entirely sure what's the purpose, even more intrigued as its a 200tdi, is it an efficiency thing or a cold weather operating thing?

Sorry to add more questions...

Mav

Just noticed , whats the spacer ring between the filter and the body? - is that the heater?

It wont get hot enough for SVO, it was an anti waxing solution with the older diesel for winter running, i had one on my 88". Power from ign sw to the temp switch in the filter head, from there to the element, from the element to earth.

Peugrot 205/305 had a fuel filter with a bottom bowl that was.water jacketed and plumbed into the heater(IIRC) circuit to have the same effect.