Late Defender Doors

Well that's what I was thinking originally.... but I've seen them on 2006 Td5s. and this post set my mind off: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87253#entry752036

The one door I've bought for my rebuild IIRC has what looks like electrolytic corrosion around the handle hinting at an ali skin? but is the later pressed steel frame.

Interesting.
You could always check skin of the door you already have with a magnet.

My '06' doors are annoyingly of the older welded type. When I got them I wanted very good doors and these were advertised as 06 - just ebay though. They were in great nick when I looked at them with no rust visible. After getting the card off for initial spraying I noticed a bit of rust (internal lower section) - I just coated it in oily grease sludge as didn't have time for a proper job then.
4 years down the line to today, and after a colour change I had them apart again for a 2nd re-spray and found the rust worse with a couple of small holes! Again Ive left it for now resigning myself it will have to be done again eventually - very expensive doors!

From the above though, it seems as if my doors are not 06, but probably a couple of years older. I had no proof at time of sale - they just looked pretty good, and the guy seemed decent so I took it at face value. At the time I didn't even know there was a pressed type!

If I were doing it again I'd make sure to get the pressed type with steel skins - clean the inside properly and coat in dintrol. Then I reckon you'll have a pretty good and long lasting door. A friend has an early puma with the later style doors and although I'm sure they can rust, even without any coating or treatment they seem to last better. The drain holes are better designed and more effective and obviously no electrolytic corrosion. And if the pressed rear door is anything to go by, its excellent.

As for when they switched, I'm not sure. What year is your door as it sounds like they may have introduced the pressed frame first then swapped to a steel skin?

Having had many defenders past and present I would never go back to the old welded frame / alloy skin doors again.

They changed mid 05. The older inner panels can be fitted with a slight modification, as can the door cards (just need a slight trim)

They are far stronger, resist dents, skins are zintex and don't rust, they shut with a car like positive clunk, not the usual rattle and vibration you get even with brand new old type doors. Instead of the two drainage Chanel's through the welded channel of the older doors there are a couple of proper sized drain holes.

Mine are now 8 years old and perfect with no rust anywhere.

I was just happy to find a pair of doors that weren't completely shot! Still cost a pretty penny for a pair of td5 doors, they did come with wind deflectors ,e/w and Central locking although the alloy skins have a fair few dents, with only mild rust on the inner frames. Going by the loom dates they are 03 so not bad for 10yrs. Strangely enough there is no evidence of electrolytic corrosion on the skins.