Egt gauge

reb78

Current advice suggests to tap the part between ports 2 and 3 below the turbo. I guess that way you see what the turbo is getting and it will be very close to the temperature seen at the outputs from ports 2 and 3.

Do many people on here use exhaust gas temp sensors? And may I ask what you use them for (other than to look at the exhaust gas temp).... do you use them for tuning? Given the mention of I turbo I presume these are all diesel applications...

I would have thought (no expert here) that they would be fairly pointless in a turbo application just going down the road as you really want the egt to be high when running under load as it will drive the turbo... all it would make you do is lift off the throttle in an effort to lighten the load and cool the exhaust gases.

(Looking for a bit of education with the above statements)

I've also read that the readings you can get can be a little pointless bay way of the actual temperature as when used in a tuning situation, as they are engine dependant, you try to find the peak EGT and then richen the mixture slightly... although the use of a wide band O2 sensor kind of negates this (on a petrol / gas engine anyway)...

... hypothetical question....

Anyone considered the use of a Wide Band O2 sensor (lambda).... in conjunction with an egt sensor per exhaust port in an effort to trim their injectors?

Would it be overkill?

Map-fic-af-emissions.gifEGT_Temp_AFR.png

Do many people on here use exhaust gas temp sensors? And may I ask what you use them for (other than to look at the exhaust gas temp).... do you use them for tuning? Given the mention of I turbo I presume these are all diesel applications...

I would have thought (no expert here) that they would be fairly pointless in a turbo application just going down the road as you really want the egt to be high when running under load as it will drive the turbo... all it would make you do is lift off the throttle in an effort to lighten the load and cool the exhaust gases.

EGT has nothing to do with driving the turbo, that is all done by the pressure difference either side of the turbo's turbine wheel.

Tuning a Diesel is entirly different to a petrol, a "richer" mix in a diesel makes it rev higher, air in a diesel is (give or take) constant.

EGT gauges are used to stop you melting pistons, cylinder heads and turbo's.

I am currently looking for new EGT and boost gauges and saw these, they have some reasonable reviews and price seems middle of the road, my main concern is there brightness against the rest of the rover dash. Ultimately I want VDO but I cannot find a UK supplier of 30psi and 900 *C EGT gauges. VB what scale is your gauge?

Will.

EGT has nothing to do with driving the turbo, that is all done by the pressure difference either side of the turbo's turbine wheel.

Tuning a Diesel is entirly different to a petrol, a "richer" mix in a diesel makes it rev higher, air in a diesel is (give or take) constant.

Ahh, thanks, I learnt something.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1007dp_the_truth_about_egt/

I am currently looking for new EGT and boost gauges and saw these, they have some reasonable reviews and price seems middle of the road, my main concern is there brightness against the rest of the rover dash. Ultimately I want VDO but I cannot find a UK supplier of 30psi and 900 *C EGT gauges. VB what scale is your gauge?

Will.

Both mine are VDO, the boos gauge is actually for a petrol so will read vac, vac on a diesel is a major issue! It reads to 25psi, the egt gauge reads to 900.

Looking at that eBay gauge, I'd suggest the scale looks better than its utility in real life. A bit like a fuel gauge, most of the scale is "for interest", it only becomes important between 600 and 900 degrees C.

I don't like to take mine over 725'C, it'd be easy to slip to 750 or even 800'C on a little 52mm gauge like that, unless it has an alarm too?

It's all about how you drive. I was told not to waste my money on an EGT gauge.

It's all about how you drive. I was told not to waste my money on an EGT gauge.

To be honest mike, it's partly just because I'm curious. It's been in its current tune for about 2 years so I could carry on without one.

Looking at that eBay gauge, I'd suggest the scale looks better than its utility in real life. A bit like a fuel gauge, most of the scale is "for interest", it only becomes important between 600 and 900 degrees C.

I don't like to take mine over 725'C, it'd be easy to slip to 750 or even 800'C on a little 52mm gauge like that, unless it has an alarm too?

Point taken. Are there any digital ones worth looking at?

They are a tuning aid, not much use in day to day driving unless your engine is running near the limit and/or your going up and down big mountains regularly.

Fuel mixtures are opposite to petrols, more fuel gives more power to a point, very basically if you have too much you get unburnt fuel and combustion continues in the exhaust system increasing egt's burning valves and turbos

-please take note of the commnet underlined and in bold before the pedant in you rips me to bits.

I think you know I had a fast flow intercooler fitted along with the FIP optimised. I rang later to ask about fitting an EGT gauge and I was told that as the settings had been checked with an EGT gauge I should save my money.

Now when I learnt to drive, in a Bristol, with either a Gardiner five fitted or a Bristol six fitted. I was insytucted to use the same gear up the hill as the one I would use when going down th hill. Don't flog the engine, let it run freely, don't labour the engine. No after more years driving than I care to remember. I understand that those bad practices would lead to a high EGT.

Yes be like the cat, curious.

As for digital gauges.

I like them but only for the things you don't have to know what the last reading was. My internal/ external thermometer and my battery volyage with oil pressure are digital, whereas my coolant temperature gauge is an analogue.

Is the madman easy to read? I imagine a digital egt to change so quickly it's hard to read or is that not the case? ( also can't you use the madman for your water temp?)

VB where did you get your gauges from?

Will

I have a digital EGT gauge fitted with a memory function for highest temerature. So far it has worked fine, I don't tend to push the engine to the limit if I can help it and so far all the readings I have seen have been fine, thats with running an improved flow intercooler and a peak boost pressure of about 18 - 20psi.

The one I have is the same as Ebay item 200551078262, (sorry never quite got the hang of links, sure someone can do it if any one wants a link), the one I got came from a company in Germany but looks to be the same item, from the design and have looked at it I think it is a general industrial temperature display unit matched with a suitable temperature probe, (there are options to use different temp probes and change all sort of stuff I never bothered with) rather than a specifically designed EGT gauge. Its a lot less blingy but thats what I wanted and it fitted into the dash easily.

Is the madman easy to read? I imagine a digital egt to change so quickly it's hard to read or is that not the case? ( also can't you use the madman for your water temp?)

VB where did you get your gauges from?

Will

Boost Gauge came from the states and the EGT from Australia, both found via evilbay.