diy restoration? (haynes restoration manual)

hello everyone does anyone have one of these manuals? are they any good. i'm looking to restore my 90 and i'm new to landrovers but am reasnobly handy with the spanners. just wondered wether anyone knows of any good guides. thanks for the help.

I have the Haynes manual, though I must say I didn't buy it, got it free from LRE with a subs. It's not bad, though the engine bit is dated, pre-tdi mostly. Good stuff on bodywork and seats and quite a lot of good advice. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as they say in Oz.

thanks for that its mainly the bodywork stuff i was looking for as the normal haynes doesnt ahve much in there about it. just dont want to pay thousands to have it restores if i can have a go myself. wouldnt mind having ago a painting aswell. we shall see.

The normal Haynes manual and the Haynes Restoaration manual are very different animals but are both worth buying if you are new to LR ownership, I have been around LR's all my life but still have a copy of each on my bookshelf and refer to them from time to time.

Certainly the Restoration manual covers more bodywork stuff (there is a very in depth-section on rebuilding a door for instance) and in my opinion you should get yourself copies of both.

i have got a normal maual which i have found quite interesting, does the restoration manual have much information about bulkhead removal/refit. i can imagine this is going to be quite a big job and just wether it was just time consuming or very technical.

sorry that didnt make much sense to me

What he means is that when you start the job you will be posting every night to ask questions about a paticular task you came across that day.

It doesn't cover a complete bulkhead replacement but it is a very usefull book and between the two of them you will have enough info to tackle the job without having to post questions every day.

I have done two bulkhead replacements and as long as you are methodical it is very straight forward. Take photos, label everything and when it is all apart have a good look at the vehicle and see if any other work needs to be done while you have all that access.

James,

ask as many questions as you like, we'll all do our best to help you, i rebuilt a 110 from a rolling chassis a couple of years ago.. and theres plenty of people on here (most of them) that know lots more than me... :)

make sure you take lots of piccys then you can start a thread in the 'members vehicles' forum, showing everyone your handywork. ;)

have a look in the tech archive, theres loads of photographic step by step guides in there showing how to do many different jobs. :)

m@tt :)

Hi James

don't take Nige's post the wrong way he wasn't criticising and is one of the most prolific posters for answering peoples Q etc.

By the way, there are a few forumers that live nearby so call out if you need tools etc and help. Don't ask me though I'm dangerous with advice and always make out I know what to do!! ;););)

Have fun with your re-build

Steve

james ask all the bone questions you can, saves me having to look daft :D:D

seriously i doubt you'd get any stick for asking things that seem daft to people who been about LRs for years, i havent so far. have fun rebuilding the thing, ive never gone that far with a truck yet but i bet the sense of achivement is wonderful when its finally driving again.