Exchange r380

Can someone please tell me what parts have to be serviceable on an r380 to use as an exchange unit?

I was thinking of an Ashcroft box as they have a good reputation

My reverse gear has broken and I don't want to order a box then them tell me that because this part is broken or something else is worn I can't have my surcharge back.

I have taken the box out and stripped it to have a look.

Has anyone had a similar thing with using ash crofts please?

I was hoping I could take it to them and do the exchange once they had assessed my old unit

Sorry for all the questions

Steve.

Copied from the ashcroft website......

When we send a unit out, we charge a core deposit which is refunded upon receipt of the old unit assuming it is the same type as supplied and must be complete and not stripped with an intact casing, these core charges vary depending on the type supplied as detailed in the relevant section.

Jad

I think they're pretty reasonable with what they take back in exchange. They expect to take one that's broken (after all, why would you be buying a rebuilt one if the original isnt broken.) but they need a reasonable number of parts to make reconditioning your old box economically viable. I think as long as the full casing is present and all the parts are present they would refund the surcharge.

I believe the not stripped bit means they don't want you turning up with a crate of bits, or getting all the worse bits from several boxes to make one really bad box to trade in. One of the forum members from the other side of the pond split an R380 in half to bring it over in his luggage and then reassembled it before giving it to Ashcrofts.

I have an R380 from a Discovery I'd like to sell if you'd consider a second hand unit.

Happy to stand corrected but I believe it isn't the end of the world to swap the gear stick mechanism over (this isn't something I have done) from Discovery to Defender.

PM me if you are interested.

Mark

Bigstevemex , I was in a similar quandary with my box but the people at Ashcrofts are as helpful as you like , cant praise them enough if im honest , I was unbolting odds and sods id forgotten to take off in the car park while they were sorting out the exchange