modern diesel engine conversion

Hi guys

Been a while since my last post but I'm looking for a modern diesel to put in my 1985 110. It now has a 200tdi defender block in it but because of a ruling of the town council I will not permitted to drive it trough the city starting from 2015.

So now I'm looking for a modern engine (it needs to be euro4) and if possible I would like to keep the original bonnet so no Puma bump.

I was looking at the iveco diesels as the seem to be very reliable and parts wouldn't be a problem.

I would love to hear your opinions.

cheers,

hi,

thanks for the replies.

there is an exemption for petrol but I don't want to go the petrol way.

I did not see the mercedes threads. Will look for them.

But does anybody know if a engine and gearbox from a iveco massif or santana will fit?

I would love to have a nice strong diesel so the iveco's look really interesting

cheers

@marieholm I live in Holland as well (unfortunately no defender owner but my ford transit build in 2000 will suffer the same anytime soon in Amsterdam).

- Do they already have a official sign to stop me from driving in Utrecht without noticing, as far as I know only C22a is legal at the moment (http://www.verkeersmaterialen.nl/gesloten-voor-vrachtauto-s-die-niet-voldoen-aan-de-gestelde-milieueisen.html) but that's trucks only.

- Isn't the blacklist based on production year regardless of engine? (In Amsterdam their discussing no new parking permits for diesels older than 2005)

- Have you looked at the newer for transit engines (As I believe LR also used ford in later models).

- Is Santana easy for parts ? I'd doubt that.

hi,

my pockets aren't steep enough for a tdv6 and also I would like to have a relatively simple engine.

The iveco engines seem quite strong and reliable.

a nice 2.8 or even a 3.0 seems very nice.

anybody have any experience with these engines?