Brown Trouser Moment

Puffernutter

Range Rover P38 MkII, 4.6 HSE, automatic.

After jumping it to start (seem to get a flat battery every few days - must see what's taking the juice!), it revved to 6000rpm (not touching the accelerator) then settled back to a fast idle.

I let it warm up then drove off, I accelerated to join the traffic but when I took my foot off the accelerator, nothing happened and I carried on accelerating. Applying the brakes hard and turning off the engine meant I stopped! On restart it was fine, but I always have a delay on releasing the pedal to the revs dying away (cruise control is off).

The throttle cable is fine and moves freely, as does the business end at the engine.

Could this be the cruise control getting involved when it shouldn't? Is there just a simple linkage I can remove to isolate the cruise control to find out?

Cheers

Peter

is there a cable? i thought it was a potentiometer which asks the becm nicely to make the car go faster/slower. I know the kick down switch is just that which holds the gearchange longer. Also the sport/manual button changes the resolution of the pot so the power comes on with less travel of your foot.

10/1 your flat battery is being caused by a mk1 or mk2 alarm rf receiver. you can buy a mk3 for £170 which won't wake the car up every 2 minutes from your 448mhz wireless door bell or you neighbours weather station or baby monitor etc.

Pete

Yes, on this one there is a definite cable between the accelerator pedal and the engine. In fact, when the cruise control is working, I can feel the pedal move, that's what makes me think there must be a physical connection between the cruis control and the accelerator linkage.

I'm still new to all this - I used to have a 200TDi Defender - I understood that engine (no ECUs!)

Cheers

Peter

There is a fast-idle control valve, but that can't let enough air through to rev to 6000, it's physically too small a hole (approx. 10mm). It's possible the cruise control linkage managed to get stuck, from memory they're vacuum operated so disabling it is as simple as disconnecting & plugging the pipe.

Also possible there's a vacuum leak, split hose, etc.

Just think yourself lucky you've got a proper throttle cable, GF's Ibiza is fly-by-wire and that gives entertainment. It once decided to cut power as she was at the end of a slip-road joining a busy dual-carriageway. Oh and it's a job for a midget contortionist to change the pedal! :angry2:

An update. Removed the cruise control inkage. Still had the problem, although this time I noticed that the accelerator pedal was still partly down, so I guess it's a throttle cable problem!

Option 1 will be to remove, clean and oil and option 2 will be to replace. Option 2 is probably best, so does anyone know the part number for a P38 Mk2 throttle cable? (4.6 HSE)

Cheers

Peter

It's a GEMS.

Looking at the throttle cable, it does have quite a tight turn just after the bulkhead and also 180 degree turn into the linkage on the engine.

A new throttle cable I think.

Does the ECU have any effect on throttle position that could cause this? The throttle is not fly-by-wire, so I can't see how the ECU could race it up to maximum revs?

Cheers

Peter

Have you ever had engine-earthing issues?

I've experienced a case in the past where a high-resistance engine-earth had a portion of the starter-motor current getting from the engine-block to the chassis by way of the throttle cable - causing it to heat and melt inside.

The result in no way enhanced the smoothness of throttle-operation or the speed of return-to-idle when you took your foot off.

More diagnostics tonight. I was playing with a Nanocom and on just turning the engine on, I got the uncontrolled acceleration to around 5,500 to 6,00 revs and it hunts around that area for a few seconds then drops to a fast idle. The throttle sensor (according to Nanocom) is operating OK. I hadn't touched the accelerator pedal at all!

What is the stepper motor for on the plenum chamber near the throttle sensor?

I think I'll change the throttle cable anyway, it will be one less variable!

Is there any benefit in removing the plenum chamber and having a look around?

Cheers

Peter

The stepper is the Idle Air Control Valve, these do have a tendancy to clog up over time - though this usually shows up as a poor idle, stalling in reverse not the other way round. If you have reset any values using nanocom then you may need to reset your Stored Throttle Closed value, there are threads about this on both this forum and rangerovers.net.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

More info. Flat battery again today :angry2:

Jumped it, didn't touch the pedal, but it raced away again. I have established it isn't the throttle cable and it isn't the cruise control linkage.

But, when I went around to the throttle linkage to reduce the revs it was hard round and there was a definite stiff point that I had to move it past before it sprung back. Then it was OK again, you could rev the engine and it would return to idle naturally.

So, what is in the plenum chamber and how is the throttle linkage and the stepper motor linked? I know I've been told that the stepper motor should be able to race the engine, but it almost seems that it interferes with the free movement of the throttle (and prevents it returning). But I have no pictures of what is in there!

Cheers

Peter

Stepper and throttle butterfly have no physical connection, infact idle air control happens outside of main throttle body.

Throttle spindle passes right through body into TPS on far side - could be binding somehow in it's bearings but. I would think it more likely to be something in the linkage that the throttle cable works on.

D.

• 1 month later...

Have you overcome the flat battery issue?

A colleague has a '98 P38 4.6. He was having flat battery issues, and went all through thoughts of other local rf signals causing havoc with the immobilser system.

The ultimate cause of his problem turned out to be the light between the upper and lower tailgate shut not going out when the tailgates were shut. The lamp unit cannot be seen when the tailgates are shut, so hard to tell that it was on, unless you look when it's pitch dark. It took weeks to figure this one out!

The flat battery caused all sorts of other starting/immobilser issues to crop up and distract the diagnostic thought process.

Not yet, but I'll have a look at your suggestion.

It is interesting that when I park the car at home (town centre) the battery will flatten quite quickly, when I park it at the caravan storage area (middle of nowhere) it can go a couple of weeks plus without any issues. That's what leads me to think it might be RF related.

Cheers

Peter

The issue of local RF sources continually 'waking up' the BECM [or rather, stopping it from going into sleep-mode] is well known: from memory, LR introduced a later model of receiver that was fitted with better filtering so was less-sensitive to radio sources in the vicinity.