Suprise Suprise Megasquirt Edis 8 no spark

PeteMck

Ok. So the engine was almost starting. Would catch several times and for a split second you would think it had started but no joy. Took all the spark plugs out to look at them and there is a fair amount of oil getting into the cylinders. So the plan of action is to pull the engine out strip it down and replace piston rings, bearing shells and everything while I'm doing it and try and identify why there is all this oil in there. At the end of the day if it's that that is causing the problems or not there is enough oil on the tips of the plugs that something is definitely not right. They are pretty cover after a few cranks. Also noticed a build up of quite a lot oil round the butterfly valve in the plenum since trying to start it. Is this normal? Final question, on the bottom of the plenum housing there is the de-icer, one pipe comes out the block where should the other outlet be run to?

^^

Values spot on well done !

Without PWM control it will DEFINATELY start, before I did this one mine I would sit in it, press pedal 1" or so down

and crank, when it fired just keep the revs going.

Unsure that stripping and re-ringing is the route to go....You had one issue / now fixed :i-m_so_happy: there may well be another.

I would far rather you got the engine running and then decided it it neds a rering than this way around, you could re ring it and still not have

it running.

So few things ....

When you turn on the ignition - does the fuel pump prime for a few seconds - and then cut out ?

If you open Mehatune with ignition on, which guages show what values ?

Have you connect the MAP Pipe to the engine and the ECU and if so to where exacly on the engine ?

how old are the plugs and what type ?

If you remove plug and crank engine with plug on block does it give off a big F O Spark ?

couple of pics from around the engine bay may prove useful too :)

Report back :D

Nige

Ok. Pump primes fine and cuts out after 2secs.

Plugs are brand new Bosch.

Map pipe is connected and is between manifold and fuel pressure regulator.

Tested plugs and leads and they all spark. Wouldn't say it was big F/O but it's a reasonable spark.

I know it's fuelling when cranking as well.

also it blows back through the plenum sometimes. :s. Tried using a bit of easy start and it turned the air inlet pipe into a flame thrower :s

Flame thrower out the inlet = you have your spark timing or plug leads wrong.

End of story really, unless there is something severely amiss mechanically. Have you dried the plugs (heated) and re-fitted? Oil could be from someone oiling the bores pre-storage.

Can't do pics unless someone else on here can supply one. It just bends over and pushes onto a small outlet from the silver plate for want of a better word the plenum bolts to of that makes sense. Could the advance be causing this spark timing issue.

Ah....but there are 2 positions where piston is at the top....tdc= correct....and exhaust stroke = 180 degrees out. ..

Shove engine at tdc then remove passenger rocker cover see if both valves are closed...on one not...

Take pics of trigger wheel whilst you at it !!

180 is a very common simple error

Ah....but there are 2 positions where piston is at the top....tdc= correct....and exhaust stroke = 180 degrees out. ..

Shove engine at tdc then remove passenger rocker cover see if both valves are closed...on one not...

Take pics of trigger wheel whilst you at it !!

180 is a very common simple error

Only on a distributor Nige! EIDS won't care about 180 degrees out.

I must confess I thought exactly the same as Bowie 69 - plug leads in the wrong order or timing wrong.

the sensor is 5 teeth behind the gap. ......

er....

Looking at the front of the engine

Engine at TDC

gap should have past the VR sensor (clockwise) and gone round clockwise

until the VR sensor is smack bang cental on the 5th tooth

??? behind to me says "on the 5th tooth anticlockwise of the Gap)

should be "After" ie on the 5th tooth passing the vr after the gap has gone past in clockwise direction ???

Nige