Suprise Suprise Megasquirt Edis 8 no spark

PeteMck

well ive double checked that the engine is at top dead center using the trusty poke something in the spark plug hole for no.1. cylinder and see when its at the top of its travel and the sensor is pointing directly at the 5th tooth. Will double check that the valves are opening at the right time when i get the chance but other than them being out anyone got any other suggestions?

Have you checked that your not 180deg out yet?

I tried to get my head around this earlier in the thread and confused myself, however I came to the conclusion it can't matter as there is no 180 degrees out. With a dizzy you have to get it right as the dizzy runs off the cam which is geared 1/2 speed of crank so that you get a piston up/down exhaust valve open/close piston up/down inlet valve open/close and the appropriate plug fires once per 2 piston strokes after the inlet valve has opened/closed. The trigger wheel on with MS is on the crank so the missing tooth which it uses to set timing is always 5 teeth away from TDC regardless of if the engine is just after the inlet or exhaust valve opening/closing on cyl 1. So the MS fires the opposite 2 plugs at the same time to compensate.

Right :blink::unsure:

:blink: Are you sure about that?????

Yes.

The trigger wheel on with MS is on the crank so the missing tooth which it uses to set timing is always 5 teeth away from TDC regardless of if the engine is just after the inlet or exhaust valve opening/closing on cyl 1. So the MS fires the opposite 2 plugs at the same time to compensate.

Right :blink::unsure:

Bang on.

It has gone a bit quiet on here. I'm interested to know how the OP is getting on...

Have you measured the fuel-pressure *in the fuel-rail*?? You should be looking for at least 3Bar, 4 is better.

Does the fuel-rail hold full line-pressure [at least 3Bar, 4 is better] when the fuel-pump's switched off and you've left everything for an hour or so?

ok. sorry about going quiet for a bit, been busy at work and this is the first chance ive had to get back to the landy. So this morning ive calibrated the TPS and closed gives a value of 209 and open is 249 or something in that ball park. lol. Anyway the flood value was set down at 170 something so ive put that up to 250 just to make sure that doesnt kick in and now the engine is catching and coughing but the battery died so its now on charge. so we have made progress. will double tripple check that the trigger wheel is in the right place and try the suggestions at the start of the thread r.e. spark tables etc and see if we can finally get it running....... not holding my breath. :S

OK

Those 2 x setting tell me your TPS is not working !! :D

Now, with flood clear at 170, both values mean it will NOT fuel

Changing the flood clear is not rweally the answer, you need to sort out the TPS

I would guess you may have either a dead TPS, or maybe wired wrong, sometimes the "Wonderfull world of Land Rover" don't always get the wires right !!!

Remove the TPS, see if the unit can be twisted - there is a little flat blade on the back, see what the gauge does.

Check wiring, and maybe try wiring differently ?

TPS is a fairly major input unit to MS !! - worth sorting

Nige

ok. well when i first tried calibrating it said i had a negative difference when setting open and closed values so swapped the outside 2 wires (red and yellow) as figured green is the middle which ever way round you look at it :D and now it at least gives a change in the right direction. will take it off and have a look,

ok, so replaced the TPS sensor with a brand new one and now get a value of 6/7 for closed and 64 for fully open. engine now turns over and catches and almost starts but not quite (and is now flooded). the middle wire i have as the earth, the red is the +5V which it is receiving and then the yellow for the other one. Tried the red and yellow the other way round and it gives a negative difference (i.e. closed value is higher than open). Is the flood clear value of 170 a direct value compared to the TPS so if the TPS value goes over 170 it stops it or is it more complicated, otherwise it seems i have bought a dodgy sensor or ive wired something wrong with it. :S this is starting to become very frustrating..... lol.

yup gives 7 closed and 64 open. Have tried 2 sensors and they both give the same reading and both will reach 250+ if u turn them with a screwdriver. Is there a chance the MSQ isnt interpreting the signal correctly? have tried wiggling (i know its technical) but it doesnt change the value at all so semi ruled out poor connection but cant see what else it can be.... I dont see how i can have 2 faulty sensors that both give identical readings?

Should be wired like this:

p38_tps.jpg

The values, although slightly off, are irrelevant as long as it's no longer in flood clear mode, the TPS only affects accel enrichment, you can live without it pretty happily. Any other sensors got daft values?

Well it's not the same results is it? Have you calibrated it yet?

If it then doesn't calibrate properly I am getting pretty sure you have it wired up wrongly.

However.... in this state it should allow the engine to start.

Take the plugs out, stick them in the oven for 20 minutes and refit while still hot, then fire it up.

Are they mechanically setup right? If your getting 250+ by turning with a screwdriver is the throttle cable set correctly and is the TPS adjusted correctly? IE as soon as you touch the throttle does the butterfly start to open and if you watch the bar on the tps calibration screen does it start to move as soon as you start to move the pedal?