Simplified 3.9 v8 loom

Im currently wiring up my 3.9 v8 from a Range Rover classic into my Whitbread truck. Ive fitted the engine loom but don't fancy using the main harness as its too cluttered and pretty much all of it is useless to me ie windows heaters etc. Im looking to run the engine with as few wires as possible, does anybody have any info or diagrams on how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

There should just be one plug that goes into the car under the steering column with maybe 5 pins. This should be the only connection to the car but I can't remember what the 5 pins did off the top of my head. I think it was live , ignition etc but I will try find a diagram.

The manual I've got shows;

Black/Yellow - EFI warning lamp

White/Red - Starter relay

Yellow/Blue - Heater / AC connection points

Black/Orange - Starter inhibit switch

Yellow - Speed transducer (speed control)

White/Purple - Fuse 18 (fuel pump)

White - Ignition on

Brown - Battery Feed

But i would take it with a pinch of salt as I didn't have as many wires as that and mine was a 3.5, however from memory I'm pretty sure that the following are correct;

brown was battery feed

white was ignition on

white/purple was fuel pump

black / orange was starter inhibitor (auto gearbox has to be in N or P).

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

IIRC my 3.9 efi used a sixway fuse block to interface with the 110 , fuel pump, ign, start, speed pulse, oil pressure , water temp. Just used the engine to ecu harness , and connected into that . There was of course the batt pos and neg connection , via the starter solenoid terminals.

mine just has a seperate loom for the engine ive removed alot of wires too that connected to the transfer box and other gearbox related ones, ive just got wiring from the selector sensor so it only startes in park or neutral all the rest are engine related

• 3 years later...

Good evening all. I have an interest in this post. I'm currently fitting a 3.9 95 model disco engine into my VW kombi mid mount. It will be 4wd. the engine in pic is for setting up with. I would like to know if anyone can help out with a hand drawn pic of the wiring harness. The workshop manual I have been working of is on 2 pages  pre & post 94 model. If anyone can help out 

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:07 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

Even a Rover V8 is nicer than the aircooled boat anchor :ph34r:

G'day all. there's a simple answer to this. I like the rover motor. It's light. Makes enough HP to do the job. I don't want to break to many things. EG intermediate shaft between the gearbox & transfercase or the modified Datsun 180b axle shaft shortened to use as the rear tailshaft. I had 351 ford Windsor at my disposal but went bigger cubes. Sorry  the loss of picks thankyou photobucket for holding users to ransom

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2014 at 12:12 AM, terry9187 said:

I'm running my 3.9 efi on a simple loom with 1 relay block with no relays all u need is pulse wire from dissy to relay block and ecu no fuses at all

Hi Terry do you have some sort of diagram I could use I have the harness at the point of removing every unwanted wire.