Roof lights and glare.

Nigelw

its been time to pull out since well before now!

and poeple like the idea of having posh cars...

i can see the conversation now...

DVSA: "can i please scan your series to see if it is modified in any way?"

me: "Can try if you want :hysterical: ill come back in an hour!"

I like it that full harmonization is desired but would involve greater regulation on those that are already good and safe but allow developing countries time to catch up, it is no longer about safety but greasing the wheels of the money making machine AKA big business.

Is there an OBD port on a D1? I believe the guy who owns the silver one on my parking lot has OCD about his but have to ask about the OBD to see what occurs :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Nige, while harmonisation is in principle a good idea, it can only realistically be achieved by bringing everyone up to the same standards, not down to the lowest common denominator. That means an extremely restrictive system with all the most onerous elements of every member country, so annual checks from the UK, a ban on all mods and accessories from Germany, the need to carry two triangles and a first aid kit from Belgium, the need for a breathaliser kit from France... you get the idea. It'd be a disaster for the motorist!

I have no idea about where to look up the regs on roof lights, but my understanding is that any forward lighting has to be mounted ahead of the front axle. That would explain why lorries can use high mounted lights on the road, but not 4wd vehicles. It also explains why the sidelights were moved on the SI, though does bring up the curious exception of the ugly Fiat MPV that had the fat ripple under the wind screen with sidelights integrated there, much like the early SI. I have been pulled over by the police for switching my roof lights on on the road - it was dark and utterly deserted at 4am, and I needed to check their aim having just fitted them and tried aiming against the garage door, so I tried them on the main road. The one other car out was 1/2 mile behind and also had roof lights - blue ones... They're perfectly legal to fit on UK roads, just illegal to use.

In practical experience, roof lights are of limited benefit. They are only useful off road for illuminating hollows and over humps that are left as a well of blackness by regular height lamps. However, the amount of glare, even from matt black surfaces like the spare tyre or wing top plating, is considerable and so you'd only use them at low speed anyway. Lights mounted on the front edge of the bonnet will illuminate the same spots almost as well without the glare, and by using these new LED strips rather than big lumps like the rally pods you don't get physical obstruction of the field of view. The flip side is that the roof spots also illuminate high obstructions like low bridges, branches and leaning trunks, while LED strips on the front won't help with that. So, swings and roundabouts. I have to say the best use I've had from them was illuminating a campsite area to allow a night-time change of a DII's broken air suspension to coils.

Don't underestimate the noise and performance effects of roof mounted lights.

For the majority of users roof mounted auxiliary lights are styling accessories used to portray an image rather than being of practical use.

I have had them and they do light up the bonnet beautifully but they are vulnerable to low branches as you will know if you use Green lanes on a regular basis. The novelty wears off after you've replaced them a couple of times and you come to realise of how little use they really are. Most people that do drive off road and do so during daylight hours tend to grow out of them, eventually. :)

Mo

If you want them and for practical use ( eg on outback dirt roads at night) mount them underneath the roof rack at the front , but far enough back so that the bonnet is in the shadow , with my roof rack and 6" spots this is about 11" from front of roof . They are well protected here , from tree branches , although I did lose one thru bird strike ! HTSH

The legality issue I read before was down to the lights on a 4x4 being behind the front axle line. That's how the lorries are allowed them.

Personally I had roof lights, and I will have them again after the rebuild. Yes they light the bonnet up but I've never found it a problem. Switched with main beam (and an isolating switch), they gave me a useful boost to the light. Lots of small back roads where I live and any extra light is an advantage. Been followed by plod with my roof lights on and no problems :)