Black smoke in Discovery 300 Tdi auto

Abhishek_d_zulu

Hi, I am having thick black smoke coming out do my 1998 Discovery 300 Tdi auto- not just at the start, but also when I pull- accelerating to overtake someone or going a bit uphill.

Not to give some history on the vehicle- I had bought this a year & a half back- the engine had seized on it. I did a complete rebuilt for the engine- changed all ancillary parts, but retained the head (had it skimmed). I also replaced everything from the turbo, to radiator to you name it.

The only additional part that I possibly didn't change is the fuel injection pump- though I had it serviced.

Tried the engine oil with additives to clean the system, added additives to diesel etc- none seems to work. What am I missing? Need help...

Is the performance down at all? I also think as reb78 said check all hoses and remove them one by one and check them, I have see some hoses not split or pop off but separate from each other as they are double layered, and as the air is rushing past it it closes the pipe and starves the engine of air.

Another place is if the pipes are ok check the turbo waste gate, it could be sticking or has become dislodged from the vacuume unit so it is permanent open dumping all the boost down the exhaust.

No,not any of the ones I ever saw. Usually the EDC is just as reliable as the mechanically governed VE pumps,however on the very rare occasion they do get into trouble everyone moans like hell about them .Usually because they have little or no experience in diagnosing them.The Bosch EDC fault codes are very accurate considering how early the design is - so unlike say P38 EAS codes they are worth taking note of.

I would say its more likely an air restriction for black smoke,delaminated hoses or a sticking EGR valve would be worth checking out first before even looking at the EDC system.Over the years I have seen plenty of these go well beyond 200,000m without injection faults,my own work truck was on 207,000m when I sold it,the new owner is very happy with it.

The EDC system must have saved plenty of engines too,as it cuts power output when the coolant temp goes too high,there have been plenty of cases of 300TDI's failing when the P gasket loses coolant on a long run,do the same with an EDC engine and it just slows right down....

Worth fixing - Yes,and the fault is probably something unrelated to the fuel system anyway.

I've just had a fast and steep learning curve to EDC and I have to say, once the timing is set up properly it's great. It's so simple, yet clever. Economy is good too. Made me wonder why I've always avoided it before

As for 200 Tdi pumps - I'm on my 7th 200Tdi over the last 21 years - not consecutive though. I did a quick tally of the mileage between the lot and it comes to a Nun's Cough over 1 million miles. I've yet to have pump wear issues - even on Siberian Diesel.