Wing Tops / Checker Plate

I'm considering removing the checker plate wing tops from my 90 - and musing on what to do with the holes that will remain.

The checker plate has a gasket underneath and was a dealer fit - it'd leave 5 holes and I don't know how good the surface will be.

If the surface is decent I did consider putting interior trim clips in and colour coding them - not the most aesthetic - but the reaction to that suggestion was that it would look hideous.....

An alternative suggestion was to pop a rivet in - but I don't see how that would look much different ?

So the other option is filler and paint - or can I replace the top panel of the wing ? Are they separable from the front and side ?

I suppose the whole exercise is a little bit of an expression of vanity - and whilst I don't want holes in the wing tops - I'm also not the sort to be out there polishing and waxing the thing.

Any suggestions or opinions welcome ....

The wing skin is held on to the top and front parts only by bolts. The top and front are a little more permanently connected with bolts and rivets. It is possible to separate them, but one or other piece is likely to get damaged in the process.

I'd say filler and paint would be the best option.

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

Lewis, it's just the aesthetic - I don't really use them, I can't remember the last time I needed to stand on them and I fancy seeing how it's look a bit plainer and more standard looking.

The chequer plate that's on it is good quality and I suppose another option would be to paint it - but doubt that would really work.

Easy to paint if you do it right.

Scotch pad to key surface - etch primer - paint

Your local auto paint supplier will have / mix what you need

I'm guessing you probably don't have a gun and air but you could roll it and get a first class finish or buy the top coat in an aerosol. ( not from Halfords though )

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the current excess checker plate fetish :-)

Having said that my wing tops get a fair bit of use as a work bench so they wouldn't last long without it.

It's not to everyone's taste, I'm just trying to establish what end result you're aiming to achieve :)

I was gonna suggest painting it body colour.

Black rivets wouldn't be awful if you have a dark colour, likewise plain ally rivets on a light colour.

Best result will be filler and paint. If you go that route I'd bond small plates on the underside of the wing so you're only filling the holes themselves

i have in the past used some of these, obvoiusly the rivets wont leave an 8mm hole but you get the idea, it looks smarter than anything else i could think of using tbh and it doesent look particularly intrusive or odd. the heads were ~10mm IIRC so not exactly massive

Edit: Doh, i ALWAYS do this.... aaannnd here's your link :)