snow chains?

HoSS

I will need to get some snow chains for the coming winter.

Any recommendations on make / suppliers?

Ideally they would fit my General AT2 (255/65 16) and my BFG MT (255/85 16).

These bigger sizes don't seem availble from normal car suppliers...

Try someone like this

http://cgi.ebay.de/ALPIN-Edelstahl-Schneek...1QQcmdZViewItem

hey will speak English for sure!

They might speak English but Babelfish sure as hell doesn't!

I do not let you be in the snow. They are also served of the KFZ here by a professional salesman over 45 years experience in accessories industry. Why up to the end of the auction control rooms and then expensively paying. With me you get Qualitaet's trace cross rapid assembly, condition assembly, tire chains with flexible steel ring of the company Alpine one made of alloyed high-grade steel to the fair Sofortkaufpreis. ALPINE tire chains 4x4 The durable standing and rapid assembly tire chains for living mobile, small transporter, delivery van, all wheeled vehicles, off Roud, 4x4, jeep, Kleinbuss, Vans etc.. Tire chains in intensified execution. Track links profile thickness approx.. 4.5 mm. Oe-standard, TUEV and gs examined. By the square members the chain handy is run calm, and wear resistant-square-arranges made of alloyed high-grade steel. With rhombus run net and locking device. All assembly handles before the wheel property passport form by special chain construction. A pair, thus two pieces in the practical stretcher box. Again and original-packs. All tire chains in large numbers of items available and immediately available!! All sizes of a price. For the tire sizes 255/65 15 245/70 15 235/75 15 225/80 15 7,00-16 205-16 245/60 16 255/60 16 215/75 16 205/80 16 195/85 16 245/55 17 chain part number 445 275/60 15 255/70 15 235/75 M+S 15 30x9.50-15 215-16 235/70 16 225/75 16 215/80 16 235/65 17 8/17.5 205/75 17.5 chain part number 447 9-15 7,50-15 265/70 15 215/85 16 245/70 16 255/70 16 225/70 17 255/60 17 205/75 17.5 215/75 17.5 225/75 17.5 225/55 18 235/60 18 chain part number 450 10-15 255/75 15 265/75 15 275/70 15 31x10.50-15 31x11.50-15 750-16 245/75 16 255/75 16 265/70 16 255/70 16 245/65 17 255/65 17 275/55 17 275/60 17 215/75 17.5 225/75 17.5 235/65 18 255/60 18 255/50 19 chain part number: 455 31x11.50-15 235/85 16 8.5-17.5 225/75 17.5 7-19,5 chain part number 460 265/75 16 265/70 16 235/75 17.5 265/65 17 275/60 17 285/45 19 255/55 19 255/50 20 chain part number: 465 other sizes in mine eBay SHOP simply here right click to member had one eBay Shop You did not find your tire size, pick I for you out the correct tire chain size for your vehicle here, simply here on the right of clicking: : Question to the salesman Gladly I advise you also personally, briefly calls 02161 17 57 45 of 11 to 22 o'clock, have also special sizes and other manufacturers in the offer only 5,90? Forwarding expenses within Germany forwarding expenses to Austria and into the BENELUX of countries 12,00? Supplies into Switzerland 17,00? eBay I take over fees. They can announce also over PayPal a paying at PayPal all payments entered at a working-day to 13 o'clock still on the same day are dispatched If you trust salesmen, who accept the European Union guidelines in respectable, honest Ebay, keep and to you also offer! I have 100 % positive evaluations and am for nearly 6 years with eBay announced, also over 2600 evaluations speak for me. They have for this purchase 14 days right of revocation and return after purchase. 2 year legal warranty I am Wolfgang turns and you am well served. Please you deliver your evaluation over us after completion of your transaction. After you evaluated us, receive also from us an evaluation. Naturally we are pleased very much, if your evaluation positively precipitates. Please you consider however the fact that too fast delivered negative evaluations cannot be cancelled and usually only on misunderstandings is based. If you should reason to complaints have and not be content, send us please a E-Mail, so that we have the possibility, misunderstandings to settling. Large selection and variations in type in mine eBay SHOP eifach here on the right of clicking other articles of the salesman

:)

Chris

I have a set of pukka snow chains (4 of) from Austria. Got them for the Cevennol a few years ago. Been in the bags since so only used the once! They are the serious type and once you learn really quick to put on. The co-driver and I could fit them all in deep snow in less than 10 minutes.

Not big enough for my tyres now so surplus.

PM me if you are interested.

FB

Hey Red,

i have to disagree with you regarding the placement of the chains- lived in the alps for a couple of years, the very first yeat i put chains on the rear of a vehicle i almost killed myself (quite literally). For the next three years the one car that had to have chains on (becuase i couldn't be botehred to put snow tyres on) always had them on the front.

If you are coming down a steep hill you will find you have NO breaking and NO steering with chains on front. I beleive The manufacturers tell you that chains should be on the back to preclude someone coming down a hill too fast and spinning out.

Next time i go over i'm going to take 2 sets i've decided- they are well the worth the money for the added power and security.

Hey Red,

I have to disagree with you regarding the placement of the chains- lived in the alps for a couple of years, the very first year I put chains on the rear of a vehicle I almost killed myself (quite literally). For the next three years the one car that had to have chains on (because I couldn't be bothered to put snow tyres on) always had them on the front.

If you are coming down a steep hill you will find you have NO breaking and NO steering with chains on front. I believe The manufacturers tell you that chains should be on the back to preclude someone coming down a hill too fast and spinning out.

Next time I go over I'm going to take 2 sets I've decided- they are well the worth the money for the added power and security.

Sorry to me that doesn't make sense could you clarify the statement better

You put snow chains on rear and could not handle car?

You put them on the front and car handled better?

But if you put them on the front you have no brakes or steering?

Sorry having thicky moment today :ph34r:

or did you only ever drive up hill :P

sorry its me not being clear

with chains on the back i got into all sorts of problems going downhill - no steering or braking to speak of.

with chains on the front i had no problems- and even going up hill i would have enough traction and i never suffered instability.

oh yeah that's the way to go- and audi quattro with chains front and rear can go just about anywhere in the snow i found.

have you thought about studding the tyres? lots of tyres can be studded and if you are running in snow and ice big time then theyh can make a huge difference- they are a touch slow to install though- even slower than drive on chains. I've never studded tyres personally but i have driven on them- they work best with narrow tyres which compress snow to ice!

OK.... The great debate......

I may actually have driven with chains before. :rolleyes: 6 months of the year, the trails are pure ice around here. We wheel all year round. I will only discuss off road as on road use is well boring. It does not matter much on road as on road driving is easy....

When going down a steep hill, the rear of the vehicle becomes light and likes to swap towards the front. With chains on the front, it becomes nearly impossible to control. By having them in the rear, the vehicle remains stable going down hill. If you have steering problems, you need to lower your tyre pressures. I drive on solid ice all of the time. It is just my opinion from years of experience driving off road but you will get into serious problems driving with chains only on the front.

When going up hill, you need the traction in the rear.

The Rover front axles are not strong enough to deal with the traction afforded by chains. If you fit them to the front, make sure you have some serious upgrades.

Hey Red,

I bow to your superior knowledge chap- i only have experience of driving on road using chains on summer tyres (which is what most UK people will encounter on holiday to the Alps i reckon). I still feel that driving on road with snow and ice on summer tyres and four wheel drive then you are safer with chains on the front (for the reasons already given), and most of my swiss friends agree too (although i'm not sure whether to trust them- most of them run studs or winter tyres).

where are you in the world anyway red? somewhere exotic?

John is in Canada (IIRC Alberta)……………. I wouldn’t exactly call Canada exotic ………..still better than the UK though ………… :D

What does Canada mean to me …………. Maple syrup, French onion soup, maple syrup, more maple syrup and more French onion soup ……… with all that lovely cheese floating on top :wub: …………….. yes maybe it is exotic after all :i-m_so_happy:

Ian