Winch off

MogLite

I will be there representing the leccy machines, although it is as much out of my interest as anythng else, as I don't think there will be many others with the same setup as me! I would like to compare against a standard 8274-50 though as that is the motor I am running.

I am not going to be drawn into the electric/hydraulic/pto debate though.... :P

someone want to tell me who I need to talk to about shires membership???

ta

Mark

Will is our membership secretary, you can find all the details here:

www.shirelrc.com/membership.asp

As Andy says, membership is a very reasonable £10 per year and entry to the play day is £20, the reason the price is shown as £15 is that we've just had to raise it as the landowner wants us to hire a roadsweeper and jet wash every event <_<

You need to join up before turning up - it's club rules to discourage the banger racing crew so if you're coming along please get your form off to Will so he can forget to send you your card ;) luckily he's quicker at that than building vehicles :lol:

Anyone wanting some photos from Bunny Lane have a look in the Shire Gallery:

Some piccies

Some more piccies

Quite a few more piccies!

I will be there representing the leccy machines, although it is as much out of my interest as anythng else, as I don't think there will be many others with the same setup as me! I would like to compare against a standard 8274-50 though as that is the motor I am running.

i'll be there, i've got a 8274-50 on front but with 6hp motor, 4.6 -50 on the back, i'll probably be busy all day though, i'm coming with a v8 and if its raining i'll be tryin to work out where to spray all the wd40 :rolleyes::lol:

ta

Mark

u need to speak to Mr Warne, lets hope he's quicker with membership than he is building his truck or u'll never get it :D

post-16-1161326150_thumb.jpg

Nige is right. The load cell needs to be double lined back to the tree and then the snatch block connected to the single line winch. That way the winch effort is split between the load cell and the tree. I guess you will need a good strong length of winch cable for that part of the operation.

Chris

Andy M (Moglite) - err not quite - haven't finished the front winch yet, I could use the rear Husky I suppose, if everyone is prepare to camp over for the weekend :lol:

Nigel (HFH) IR Series 14T Industrial PTO Driven / Superwinch H14W HyBrid System

Ian G (BBC) PTO Driven Milemarker

Jez (DollyTheLW) Milemarker type R

Trev90 8274

Mark 8074 with 4.6 motor

MikeTomCat Superwinch EP9

I notice there is a distinct lack of twin-motor 8274's, having babies, manicure booked, having hi-lights retouched - I've heard 'em all now :lol:

As for the wire vs "plasma" debate. All valid points, I've yet to see a 50 tonne crane on synthetic. However not all LR owners are so methodical with their use of wire ropes.

From my perspective, synthetic breaks, you'd be unlucky to get a bruise, with steel, you could loose your head. If you excuse the pun, thats a no-brainer <groan>

Still need PTO and more electric winches.

So is anyone else interested? Would be good to see a few more different varieties of winch represented...

Mark

I've seen his truck at a challenge over here in Belgium, but didn't knew about his winch system. But I've heard he is running a central pto winch together with a 8274 at the front.

Have you got more details about his winch system?

Hendrik

Robur031.jpg

scabby pre-restored one

drive through PTO, up to 80 metres cable, mechanical autospooler, bit on the lardy side though but I guess compared to strapping a power station to the back its not too bad

mind you its gotta be carp - its Eastern European ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna pull the plug on this one for now :(

BBC can't make it.

HfH probably will need to winch his way there as he refuses to fit a diesel :o

I also have a couple of reservations about the tech. If we have winches capable of pulling in excess of 15,000lb in a single line pull - are we gonna find a tree (or group of trees) on a landfill site strong enough - I dunno.

Also we'll need to generate 15,000lb + of drag to give the winch something to pull against. I was originally thinking a number of vehicles chained together, however I think its going to need quite a few, especially on a sandy surface.

I don't fancy the logistics/safety of doing the pull on a slope with a number of vehicles chained together :o

I think I need to do some experiments first, and then re-schedule - watch this space.