Tracking.....

jjojjas

Get a ball of string, tie one end to the vehicle, take it round at just below hub centre height so the string touches both outer sidewalls of all the tyres, secure the other end & adjust the tracking until both front tyres sidewalls are touching the string, hopefully that'll set the tracking to 0degrees.

I used a tape measure to set tracking use it to measure the inside distance of the wheel rims front and back and adjust if not within spec

Get a ball of string, tie one end to the vehicle, take it round at just below hub centre height so the string touches both outer sidewalls of all the tyres, secure the other end & adjust the tracking until both front tyres sidewalls are touching the string, hopefully that'll set the tracking to 0degrees.

I'll remember that one as have just paid £27+vat

remove the front wheels, fit an 16 inch long piece of angle iron with a 16 mm hole through the middle onto each front lower wheelstud.

Measure with a tape at the front and the back of both angle irons the width. Thats your tracking.

Daan

I put a chalk mark on the inside of each tyre wall, and with a tape, measure from the front. I then roll the truck forward or bachward until the chalk marks are behind the axle and measure again. This way you are eliminating the effect that slightly bent wheels or unevenly seated tyres will have on your measurements.

Bill.

Plenty of ways which work, I have always found this one accurate and effective, and have posted it before:

It is an easy diy job to check the tracking on a coil sprung landy. Adjustment varies in difficulty dependant on whether the threads of the balljoints in the track rod are siezed or not.All you need is an old extending car ariel strapped to a length of wood, or a couple of thin lengths of wood/metal rod/tube or similar which can be overlapped.With the wheels straight ahead, extend the aerial(or overlap your 2 lengths of wood or whatever) to fit exactly between the two front wheels at the rim(in front of the axle), parallel with the ground and at the axle centre line. Compare the length you get with the same point behind the axle. Ideally you should be aiming for the length to be the same or up to about 1mm wider in front of the axle than behind.If the tracking needs adjusting, loosen the clamps on both ends of the track rod (behind the axle) and rotate the track rod whilst leaving the balljoints bolted to the steering arms. Because one end of the track rod has a left hand thread, the track rod will get longer or shorter depending on which way you rotate the track rod tube. When you have got the tracking correct, tighten up the clamps.

Hope this helps,

Regards,Diff